Jul 29  # 1 of 10
Anyone ever had them or have a recipe?

My mother used to make them when we were kids and from what I can remember she used canned whole tomatoes that she broke up with a spoon and sweetened. Then I think she used her regular dumpling recipe like for chicken and dumplings. My Mom was a good cook when she was sober and not hung over but unfortunately that wasnt often. She didnt use a recipe for anything and lard definitely had a big place in her kitchen.

My brother's BD is coming up August the 8th and he wants tomato dumplings among other things for his BD I always do. I recently got a cookbook at SAMS that had a tomato dumpling recipe in it but it was nothing like what I remember Mom's being. Out of 100+ cookbooks that was the very first one I got with a tomato dumpling recipe in it. I was telling Jon about them one day and he thought I was nuts. He said his Mom never made anything like that when they were kids.

My brother wants pinto beans with ham hocks in it and greens, cornbread, blooming onion, fried taters with onions and turnips, chocolate cake and tomato dumplings for his BD. I can manage most of it but Im not sure at all about the tomato dumplings. I remember Mom's were very very sweet.
My brother is not in good health so I really want to make him everything he wants for his BD dinner. Does anyone have a recipe for tomato dumplings that I could use?

Thanks!
Jul 30  # 2 of 10
Ok ... I guess I will wing it then.
Jul 30  # 3 of 10
Maybe this is what you are looking for, Sure sounds good to me. CF:)

Tomato Dumplings

1 quart stewed tomatoes
2 T butter
sugar to taste

1 Make a batch of dumplings...these can be made from a simple bread type dough of flour, water and shortening.
2 Heat the tomatoes, butter and sugar together in a saucepan large enough to drop the dumplings on top.
3 Once the tomato mixture is hot, add the dumplings and then cook on you stovetop until the dumplings are done.
Jul 30  # 4 of 10
I've had these - but it's not what you described:

1 quart tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup brown sugar

Dumplings
1 cup flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cold butter
2/3 cup milk

In a medium skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, brown sugar, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt, cut in butter. Mix in milk. Drop by tablespoons onto bubbling tomato mixture; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

and I've had these:

1 can stewed tomatoes
Self-rising flour

Mix enough self-rising flour into stewed tomatoes until you have a stiff dough. Drop into hot broth to cook. If you prefer sweet tomato dumplings, add a little sugar to the tomatoes before adding the flour.
Aug 3  # 5 of 10
Thanks! .