Sep 26  # 1 of 8
Well it's been a busy weekend for sure. Started early Friday and found out there were some last minute entries. I was very happy. I wanted competition because to me a win by default wasn't what I wanted.

I had my youngest and my oldest sons cooking with me. My brother couldn't make it down
Also I had Deb making the potatoes and cornbread at home

We started setting up at 2:00 pm on Friday. Cooked dinner for the family down there at night and went right through the night. I ended up cooking 13 pork butts for pulled pork, 10 whole briskets, 6 racks of ribs, and 4 chicken breasts. over 300 pounds of meat :shock: Because I was using Dale's pit which was the biggest one, I cooked all the meat the other contestants couldn't fit on their pits. The meat order was all hosed up. I bought my own chicken just to have some to give the judges. No where near enough ribs and truthfully we could have used double the amount of brisket and pork butt. Separate categories were supposed to be judged. Instead we only had awards for best desert and best overall cooking. I don't know what the criteria was for judging but we had 5 judges and all our food had to be submitted with unmarked plates except for an assigned number written on the bottom of each plate.
Waiting on pics to upload to PB is a pain :bang: Not many pics happened once things got rolling. We served about 200 people and if we had been better prepared we could have fed a lot more. Very poor planning all around, but it all came together at the end. Saw a few of my farmer's market customers and a few of my other people I build for. I fed them very well

Enough of my babbling, and on with the pics

My crew, Josh the youngest on the left, Rico the oldest on the right

DSC03976.jpg

DSC04010.jpg

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot......................I won

DSC04018.jpg
Sep 26  # 2 of 8
I have a lot of pictures but the site has limits :)
Sep 26  # 3 of 8
Congrats to you and your crew Rick!!!! I am so proud of you guys!!!
Sep 27  # 4 of 8
Way to go Rick. I just wish I lived closer and could have gotten a plate too.
Sep 27  # 5 of 8
Okay - what do I say first?

Congratulations! Now it's on to the bigger competitions. Hey - you never know - look out Food Channel - it's Rick's BBQ!!

You have a very handsome family - you must be so proud.

And like always - the foods look so good and you keep us drooling!!!