What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Holiday Donations

jglass

I wish I had the money to give to everyone collecting this time of the year but I can't. Every store in town is asking for donations at the checkouts and there are people in front of every store asking for money for assorted charities. I always put atleast a dollar into the pot where they are collecting for veterans or salvation army but right now there are people hammering you at every turn here.
Some are charities I have never heard of. One church was collecting to send Bibles overseas. They let them actually block the main intersection here in town to collect which I think should be stopped. Makes me wonder which ones are legit and which are not. The stores here let anyone stand in front of their doors asking for money. I wish I had the $$ to give to all of them but I just dont. Im especially watching my own $$ for the holidays.

I went to pick up my turkeys (you know the ones I shot with one shot in the frozen food department) and I was happy to find 3 the right size I wanted and only 37 cents/lb. I tried to pull out of the lot - there were 2 fire trucks, an ambulance, and a rescue unit blocking the roads and the entrance/exit to the store - all standing there with a boot in the hands collecting - FOR WHAT??
Excuse me - but that deal is over as far as I'm concerned.
And I will not put money in the red kettle - not after I watched the guy ringing the bell taking money in his hand from people and then sticking it in his pocket. I told him he was disgusting and went home.
If I am going to donate - I will send a check.
Period.

Yeah I don't hand anyone money. I do not give unless they have one of those locked things with the hole in the lid for money to slide through.

with all the hub-bub and the amount of customers in and out of the store, many were just reaching through to hit the pot - others handed it over to the guy there because everyone is always in a big hurry - handed over money went "south" (pocket) and the pot was filling up as well -

I will purchase candy bars from the scouts, etc. and I'll do the kiddie car wash that when they are finished you need a carwash! etc. Other than that - I'll mail a check.

Most charities do actually get some of the money to the cause stated. However, after their administrative cost are taken out (read salaries), it's a very small portion getting to the needy.

Just thinking out loud here.........................maybe the better way to handle the desire to give is find someone who is in need and help them out. Surely everyone here knows someone who's having it tough. Even if you need to do it anonymously to not hurt someones pride. Just a thought

For what it's worth- I read once that of the three biggest American charities, some are smart with our money while others?... not so much... According to the piece I read, United Way has a huge overheard and pays many executives 6-figure salaries. Red Cross is worldwide and requires extensive administration staffs but keeps strong control and few if any exagerated salaries. And Salvation Army mans regional locations on a shoe-string and none of their employees get rich by working for them.

Back