What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

break time -

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
time for a break!

all the cleaning and scrubbing and preparing and I'm pooped! add on the watching the kids each morning and taking them to school and picking them up and doing their homework and I am exhausted - just can't wait till turkey day is over

this year will be quiet for us - but I will be cleaning a turkey for the kids to help out their mom this year - it's been rough since her mom died - so I'll clean and get her turkey ready - I bought her a nice covered roaster to use and a meat thermometer - and a turkey platter - so I'll get it all ready for the oven and run it over to their house while my bird is in the oven - all she has to do is pop it in the oven - and I will make the gravy for her too to save time (for her) - I have to cheat with the gravy since we won't have the pan drippings to use - but I can do it

then I'll run back home to make our pasta dish (wouldn't be thanksgiving without one) and make enough for everyone going to her house and run that over when it is done -

then it's home to finish our meal so we can eat

can't make the pasta too early - no one has room on the stove or in the oven! but this way her family can enjoy it

right now I am just looking forward to doing our dishes and clenaing up the kitchen after we have our dinner - then I will know that turkey day is over and I can rest............

Mama, your busier than a peg legged man at a butt kicking. We do that because we love our family. I guess we will be having a house full, I enjoy it. But pleased when its over. Wishing y'all a great day. CF:)

I don't know if it is keeping me young?????? or if it's going to kill me! No time to get into any trouble this way! LOL

it's now the day before turkey day and I have to clean another turkey and deliver it so they can cook it (thats a new one this year!) while mine is in the oven tomorrow - and I am not done baking - and where am I? watching babies sleep with a chihuahua jumping all over me because he wants me to play with him! then wake them, feed them, dress them, take them to school and head to the store for milk and then go home and bake until I pick them up from school -

somehow I need to live closer to them - driving back and forth to the city is taking too much time........................

wish I had another day to go before turkey day this year -

usually on t-day I never leave the house - tomorrow I have to deliver the turkey and then drive back there to bring the macaroni dish when that is done so they can have it hot and ready...............................THEN I can finish our meal and hopefully enjoy it

Oh how I miss Thanksgiving dinners at Grandma's house. Every Sunday meal was loaded with food, But Thanksgiving was an all day and night event. Chicken soup with tiny meatballs in it and homemade noodles. Homemade macaroni, all kinds of meat in the gravy, Homemade bread, antipasto with all kinds of Italian cold cuts, and if you were still hungry after all that, there was the turkey and all the traditional sides.

We stopped the traditional last year. We had steaks and baked potatoes. Don't know yet what we will have this year but will decide today. Probably drive to Bossier City and take my mother-in-law out to eat. My son would rather have burgers and watch the ball games anyway. I quess the magic is gone.

Oh how I miss Thanksgiving dinners at Grandma's house. Every Sunday meal was loaded with food, But Thanksgiving was an all day and night event. Chicken soup with tiny meatballs in it and homemade noodles. Homemade macaroni, all kinds of meat in the gravy, Homemade bread, antipasto with all kinds of Italian cold cuts, and if you were still hungry after all that, there was the turkey and all the traditional sides.

Every Sunday the entire family piled in on us - all they brought was their appetites. Alwasy homemade macaroni, and yes, tons of meats in gravy (sauce), large antipastos, relish trays, 30-lb. turekys, 20-lb. roasts, potatoes with brown gravy, veggies galore, tons of desserts and homemade breads, homemade candies, and you just cooked and ate all day long. You started your baking on Saturday morning and baked until after midnight.

This year it's just us. So it's toned down quite a bit. We're having turkey - I have a 14-lb. one, much smaller than years gone by. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, carrots, corn, peas, salad, homemade bread, bread stuffing, pumpkin pies (one regular and one vanilla), and homemade cheesecake. I'll clean and get their turkey ready (about the same size as ours) for their oven and make a large pot of homemade meat sauce and macaroni and I will send it to their house - more people there and they will eat it all up.

I don't mind all the cooking and cleaning up the mess - I enjoy seeing everyone enjoy everything.

But there was nothing like the past - those memories are all we have left now.

But Mama after all that cooking and fuss the whole meal is history in about 20 minutes. Then all the guys are watching the ball game. Oops gotta go the Saints are playing today. Have a great Thanksgiving guys.

But Mama after all that cooking and fuss the whole meal is history in about 20 minutes. Then all the guys are watching the ball game. Oops gotta go the Saints are playing today. Have a great Thanksgiving guys.

Football? At my place it's "Glee" and "Dancing w/ the Starz"!, JP! HA! :)

Back