Jan 10  # 1 of 31
The Krogers I go to always has such a terrible smell around the fish counter. Sometimes it is so bad it will honestly make you gag. I had always read if fish has a fishy smell then do not buy it. I know that if they are cleaning fish in the back there the waste from that could be part of the smell but it is so bad. Is it the same at other Krogers stores? I am afraid to buy any fresh fish from there most of the time. That smell seems to be on all of the fish it is so strong. They sell fresh oysters, clams and the like which I would love to try but Im just afraid to.
Do you shop at a Kroger and how is the fish counter there?
Jan 11  # 2 of 31
and a cook, it could just be poor cleaning practices.
Any area that seafood or meat passes through must be scrubbed throughly. We are talking with a brush and bleach water from top to bottom and then every bit of the deck including corners!!!!!!!
Maybe buy a small portion of fish and if it doesn't smell right--hightail it back to the market with it.
But the manager needs to know.
We have a store like that here where the meat dept stinks. I don't eat much meat, so it doesn't matter much, but I stay clear of that end of the store.
Nan
Jan 11  # 3 of 31
I didnt know because that is the only place any where near here to buy fresh fish.
Jan 11  # 4 of 31
You do need to report them and let the board of health go in there and find out what the problem is. It needs to be done before someone gets sick. Until then - I would not buy any of their seafoods! It's not worth the risk.
Jan 11  # 5 of 31
The next time we go there I'm going to mention it to the manager. I doubt it will do any good though. I have yet to meet one single person who works at that store who is nice. The deli crew is an exceptionally grouchy bunch. People skills do not seem to be a requirement to work there. I only go there to get some spices and things I cannot find anywhere else.
The store is a couple of counties over from where we live.