What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard Cider

jglass

I have 2 1/2 bottles of cider in the fridge. Got any ideas on how I can use it up? I made some ham glazes for the holidays but I need other recipes to use this up.

Apple Cider Pound Cake

1 cup margarine
1 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
1 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla

Soften margarine and shortening. Add sugar. Beat 10
minutes with mixer at medium speed. Add eggs one at
a time. Add other ingredients. Beat well. Bake in a large
tube pan at 325 degrees for 90 minutes.

Caramel Glaze

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients and boil for 10 minutes. Drizzle over
cake while cake is still warm.

Apple Cider Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into slices
3/4 cup apple cider
1/4 tsp.cinnamon, divided

Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder,
sugar, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon and salt; cut in the butter to make
coarse crumbs. Stir in the cider to form a soft dough. Turn
the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently into
a small ball. Pat out to a 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a
biscuit cutter. Place one inch apart on an ungreased baking
sheet. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 12-15 minutes. Cool on
racks. Makes 8-10 biscuits.

Chicken in Cider

3 lb Chicken pieces
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1/2 c Butter
1 c Apple cider
3 c Carrots; in 2" pieces
1/4 c Water
1 tb Honey
1/4 c Chopped parsley
1/2 c Light cream
1/2 c Chopped fresh tarragon
-=OR=-
1 ts Dried tarragon

Rub chicken pieces well with salt and pepper. Heat
1/4 cup butter in heavy bottomed pan; lightly
brown chicken pieces on all sides. Add cider.
Cover and simmer 45 minutes. Heat remaining 1/4
cup butter in deep pan. Add carrots, a small
amount of salt, and 1/4 cup water. Cover and steam
gently 20 minutes. Allow any remaining water to
evaporate. Lightly coat carrots with honey and
sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Cover
and keep warm. Arrange chicken on warmed platter.
Reduce chicken cooking liquid by half over high
heat. Stir in cream, remaining parsley and
tarragon. Pour sauce over and serve.

18th Century Drunken English Somerset Cider Chicken With Honey

* 4 chicken legs-thighs (chicken joints)
* 2 teaspoons English mustard powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* black pepper
* 1/4 pint cider
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 2 tablespoons honey

1. 1 Put your chicken pieces in a dish (in a single layer).
2. 2 Combine the remaining ingredients, pour over the chicken and allow to stand for a minimum of 1 hour.
3. 3 Oven bake the chicken slowly in a large oven proof dish/pan for approximately 1 hour, basting the joints periodically as they cook.

Spicy Cider Sausage Stir Fry

* 2 cups sliced smoked sausage
* 2 small zucchini
* 1/2 green bell pepper
* 1/2 red bell pepper
* 1/2 yellow bell pepper
* 1 medium leek, white parts only
* 1 sharp cooking apple
* 4 ounces baby corn
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
* salt
* black pepper, to taste

Sauce

* 1/2 cup hard alcoholic cider
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. 1 Cut the smoked sausage into 1/2-inch slices.
2. 2 Slice the zucchinis, dice the peppers, wash and cut the leek into 1/2-inch squares (white and light green parts only).
3. 3 Wash the apple well, buffing the skin with towel to remove any residue; core and cut the apple into 1/2-inch pieces, leaving the skin on.
4. 4 Trim and cut the baby corn into halves or quarters.
5. 5 Heat the oil and butter in a wok or large frying pan, add the sausages and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until browned.
6. 6 Add the vegetables, apple, and cayenne and stir-fry for another 5 minutes or until desired texture is achieved; season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. 7 Whisk the hard cider and cornstarch together, pour into the pan and stir until the sauce has thickened and the sausages are coated.
8. 8 Serve with rice.
9. 9 You can use any smoked sausage with this, made from beef, pork, chicken, or turkey - whichever is your favorite!

Pan Fried Pork Chops With Glazed Apples, Cider and Cream Sauce

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 2 cox orange pippin apples, each cut into 8 wedges
* 800 g pork chops
* 2 sprigs fresh sage
* 200 ml dry cider
* 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
* 200 ml creme fraiche
* salt & freshly ground black pepper

1. 1 Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan and cook and apples for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown but still firm. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2. 2 Season the chops with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown, turning once. Add the sage and cider and simmer for 15 minutes until the chops are cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pork to a large plate. Cover with foil and leave to rest for a few minutes.
3. 3 Stir the redcurrant jelly into the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the jelly dissolves. Stir in the creme fraiche and apples, heat through gently and season to taste.
4. 4 Pour any juices from the pork into the pan, then divide the chops between 4 plates, spoon overthe apples and sauce and serve with some green vegetables.

Thanks Hon. This stuff tastes and smells just like beer so I am going to try it in some beer batter.

I had never even tried regular cider from the store so I had no idea what this was supposed to be like. It smells, looks and tastes just like beer. I had envisioned it to be more apple flavor.

Hard cider worked great in the beer batter. Neither Jon or his Dad could tell the difference between that and beer. I think I will use the rest for some chicken tenders later this evening.
If the bottle of peach wine he gave me for Christmas is fermented like the cider it will be something else lol. Ill have to keep it away from an open flame.

Last edited:
I was doing some reading up on what hard cider is supposed to taste like. From what I read it is not uncommon for it to come out like beer. Some people prefer it that way. I still have two full wine bottles of it in the fridge and about a 1/2 a cup in the bottle I have been using from. I want to use it up because I have no idea how long it lasts.

Ever since I had the one tiny little grease fire (before I got the deep fryer) my dog looses it when ever I deep fry anything. We had a fire in our bathroom about 5 years ago when the heater built into the celing shorted out. Ever since then when ever my dog smells anything frying he goes and gets into the bathtub. I was frying those mushrooms this morning and heard a clunk and sure enough he had gotten his 12+ year old elderly arthritic 5 pound rump into the tub again. He is half yorkie and half maltese with a good helping of chicken.

awww - poor dog! well at least he has survival instinct!
never having hard cider I thought it would just taste like apple cider - DUH - dumb me....

Same here ... I assumed it would taste like apple cider. The leftover batter made some for some yummy chicken tenders.

Back