Apr 30  # 1 of 5
Having finally found file powder does anyone have a gumbo recipe they have tried to share? I have never made gumbo before but really want to try it.
May 1  # 2 of 5
No suggestions?
Oh well.. I found a couple of gumbo recipes that have great reviews. I will try one of them.
May 1  # 3 of 5
Janie, for me Gumbo is one of those hodge-podge kettle-delights that is kind of a lot of this and that- no real recipe.

Most gumbos are thickened by either file or okra- or both. Or thickened w/ a nice rich brown mohogony roux.

I usually start out making my slow-cooked mohogony roux in a heavy-bottomed pot. To that I add loads of chopped onion, celery and green bell pepper and saute/cook well.

Next I add chicken, turkey or seafood stock and get that hot and simmering. Then meat (I love chicken and smoked sausage gumbo best... also like shrimp gumbo) and I usually also add diced tomatoes too.

Then I season it accordlingly- and fairly strongly too, depending on what kind of meat I choose to use.

Sometimes I either ladle it all over a bowl of rice- sometimes I add the rice right into the gumbo itself.

YUM! :)
May 1  # 4 of 5
That is pretty much the recipe I used. Just added the shrimp and have some steamed rice ready and waiting.
May 1  # 5 of 5
I like gumbo but the heavy grease based roux is a bit much grease for me. Won't be repeating it.