Sep 1  # 1 of 33
I've been buying it but it hurts to pay so much for what must be the same mix as coca cola without the cola and red color instead of caramel color. Looking for something someone uses regularrly that they know won't hurt the little fella's.

Matt
Sep 1  # 2 of 33
Matt, I make my own, right now the little buggers are eating about 12 oz. a day.
recipe: 4 oz. white sugar 12 oz water. I don't use any coloring, just clear sugar water. CF
Sep 1  # 3 of 33
Quote ChileFarmer wrote:
I don't use any coloring, just clear sugar water. CF

That's intersting as Hurricane Irene diluted the color in my feeder to pink and it didn't seem to make any difference.
Sep 1  # 4 of 33
I don't do the hummingbird thing - we never see them around here - I do the bird balls -

2 lb. ground suet
2 C. peanut butter
1/3 C. molasses
1/4 C. bacon grease
1 lb. regular oatmeal
1 C. cornmeal
Bird feed with sunflower seeds

Have the butcher grind the suet.

Place suet in a pan and melt over medium heat. Strain into
a large bowl. Add peanut butter, molasses, bacon grease,
oatmeal and corn meal. Add enough seeds until mixture can
be rolled into balls. Roll into two-inch balls and coat with bird
feed while warm. Chill.

Place outside for the birds. If using as a gift, wrap individual
balls in plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon. Attach a label
indicating it is for the birds.

Yields 24 two-inch balls
Sep 1  # 5 of 33
Mama,

Plant some red Bee Balm, or Salvia. Then hang a feeder nearby. The flowers will attact them and are preferred by them but don't last near long enough. Then you'll see them. In late September, as their heading south, you'll be like an airport, with 10 or so at a time feeding to get the energy to get to the winter resorts.

Ants like the feeders too. So you need one with an salad oil resevoir or other method. Try it.

They are around. Just fly too fast for you to see them, much like the old Star Trek episode with the fast people.