What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Favorite Store Closed.

jglass

My favorite store in town closed last week. I was just in there a couple of weeks before and she never said a word to me about going out of business. If she had I would have stocked up on dried herbs and spices way more than I had. She sold items there that can only be found now at Kroger a couple of towns over from here or ordered from Amazon. They are three times the price at Kroger. She carried an assortment of smoked cheese that I'm really gonna miss.
I am really hoping some else opens the store back up but in this town and this economy I doubt it. :(

key word - economy - but then again - many feel that even though they have a good product to sell, they will make big bucks from the beginning and we all know that it doesn't happen that way

it's a shame too - we need more specialty shops and less of the large stores that control everything - it's so impersonal - they only care about the bottom line and not what we really want - if we don't fin what we want we are forced into substituting - that's not right

I really miss that store. She bought things in bulk and that meant a lot of savings to the customers. She was a terrible baker though. The people they bought the place from had a lot of customers for their baked breads and other goods. She lost those right away. You could break windows with her cookies.

JG, when Wal-Mart opened here we lost all our small stores. Downtown now is completely empty. I buy lot of things off the internet. CF

geez - I would have baked for her - it would keep my mind occupied and keep me busy. Let me re-phrase that - it would give me a good busy - something to keep my mind occupied with other things.

They were kind of odd turned people. The wife who ran the store had hair to her ankles and dressed very conservative. Her manner of speaking was like the Amish. Her and their two daughters followed parts of other Amish / Mormon religions to kind of make their own faith. The husband on the other hand smoked, cussed, drank and did not have a job other than bossing them around. He was not a likable person at all. I stopped by there one day and he was ranting about something one of the girls had done right in front of customers. His wife looked so uncomfortable and was trying to pacify him. They live down the road from Jon's brother.

strange folk for sure - some men have that old-school bullying in them so bad that they don't realize (or don't care) that they are doing it -

can you imagine living with him?

he wouldn't last 15 minutes with me - I'd cure him for sure........

Back