Nov 15  # 1 of 6
I recently got an email from Sam's Club in which they were advertising Kobe beef from Texas. I was just reading up on what Kobe beef is. In the Sam's add 6 - 14oz Kobe strip steaks were around $155.00 :eek:
I had seen them using Kobe beef on Iron Chef but I understood it to come from Japan. I did not know there were American producers. No beef on this planet could be worth that kind of cash.

The Sam's club we go to is not in a rich area. I have to wonder to what market they think they are going to sell beef at that price. They were not what I would call cheap on their regular Angus beef.
Nov 15  # 2 of 6
Janie, google Wagyu Beef . That is the kobe beef of America. Not much cheaper. I would not buy it. CF
Nov 16  # 3 of 6
Yeah I had read that American Kobe was called Wagyu when I was looking up what Kobe is. The Sams Club add calls it Kobe beef from Texas. I seriously have to wonder in this area and in this economy who they think will be buying that stuff. It was interesting reading how Japaneses farmers raise Kobe.
Nov 16  # 4 of 6
The process that the farmers go through is interesting. Looks like lots of work to me. Isn't happening in my world. The raising or the buying. CF
Nov 17  # 5 of 6
Isn't that (in Japan) where they get the cows drunk and massage them all over? Claiming that it improves the flavor and texture of the meat.

Cripe - go buy a cow - get it drunk and feel it up - same dang thing and cheaper!