What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wearing you ring while cooking

C

chefdiva

If you have rings do you cook with them on? I was just thinking of all the germs that are probably built up in mine. I can't get mine off anymore so I have no choice but to cook with them on. I have heard of people taking them off but I figured just because they have a real fancy one is why they did it. Do you clean your rings regularly? I some times do when I am brushing my teeth I scrub it with an old toothbrush with toothpaste and that really shines it up. I keep thinking if I am making meat loaf or something I have to dig my hands in. I can just see the germs scattering!

I take my rings off while cooking if I am making something that my hands need to get into, such as meat loaf or kneading bread dough. Otherwise no. I clean my rings now and then with a regular old cleaner I got at Target.

No, I can't stand wearing my rings while I cook...especially with anything with flour or meat. I don't like the look of my rings for days afterwards. My mom and grandmother do though and it doesn't seem to bother them.

I usually take mine off, just because I'm pretty much a "hands on" cook and I would get food all in them. Better to keep them out of harm's way.

I usually cook with them on. There's not too much I take them off for.

I don't take mine off if I am cooking. I usually clean my ring in a solution every week to make sure that it is clean. If I took it off I might lose it down the sink (just in hopes of a new one).

kind of off topic, but the jewelry store where my husband got my rings said the best cleaner for them is a warm water and windex solution. Who woulda thought? It works great though. They get a great shine, even after all of these years.

Really, I will have to try that. I usually get some jewelry cleaner from the stores.

I think if you are going to do meatloaf or something with meat for the love of your family and friends either where gloves or remove the rings. If you lose a diamond or a pearl somebody will probably lose a tooth. Also I feel that it is like not washing your hands after using the restroom, deadly germs grow from these types of contamination on jewelry etc.

If I am preparing a dish that I need to put my hands into like making hamburgers or meatballs, etc. I take my rings off otherwise I always have my rings on. I shower with my rings on so they get a good soap and water washing everyday. I never thought about the rings having so many germs but I guess you are right if you do not wash them regularly.

I take mine off if it's something particularly messy, but for a normal meal I don't bother. I take my rings off rarely anyhow, usually only if I am doing something where they would get stuff in them, like gardening or some cooking situations like kneading bread dough.

Back