What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamburger Helper?

C

chefdiva

My family wants me to make some kind of Hamburger Helper for dinner tonight. I don't have any idea why, but they go crazy over that stuff. The problem is, I hate the stuff. I think it's totally gross and starchy tasting. It doesn't matter what flavor I try it all tastes the same to me.

Do you make it for you family and do you like it?

No, I do not use Hamburger Helper. Nothing wrong with it, it's just very processed.

It's really just as easy to make your own. Ground beef, pasta, seasonings, some sort of sauce. I admit I do cheat and use canned soups, but other than that, it's all from scratch and quite easy.

I occasionally make it on a night that I'm just too drained to come up with anything else. We don't really like it, so it's a very rare thing.

We eat this only if there is nothing else in the house. I remember eating this when I was newly married since hamburger was the cheapest meat to purchase. However you can make it taste good by adding things to it. Such as herbs, hot sauce and veggies.

I loved this stuff as a kid. My family doesn't particularly care for it. I don't have it that often, because it doesnt' make enough, with one box, for my family to each get enough of it. I do like the taste, however.

It is almost like a budget meal like top ramien or cup a noddles. We were talking about this today at lunch. My co-workers were laughing at one of the other girls for cooking college food (top Ramien) she said no this is poor man food.

I have never liked the taste of Ramien noodles. But, my kids love it and it's an easy Saturday or Sunday lunch. I make their lunches for school each day, cook their dinner each night,,so Sat and Sun, lunch is on them. At 15 an 13, they can make a sandwich just as easy as I can...

Hamburger Helper is the grown-ups' Ramen, is it not? LOL

We have to keep sodium down in our household so I don't make much prepackaged stuff. And I don't like hamburger helper, or those chicken helper things, or the frozen slow cooker meals.

We have to keep sodium down in our household so I don't make much prepackaged stuff. And I don't like hamburger helper, or those chicken helper things, or the frozen slow cooker meals.

DITTO on the prepackaged crap! Sorry but that is what it is. Prepping may take time but I would rather do it myself!

Back