Aug 21  # 1 of 12
I'm doing research on panna cotta for a project and keep running into references to a French and a Greek version of this great Italian dish. Unfortunately, none of those references give me the names.

Does anyone know what the French and Greek versions are called? And how they differ from each other, and from the Italian method, if, indeed they do.
Aug 21  # 2 of 12
the Greek version most likely uses a thick half-and-half and yogurt (crema)

the French version most likely is close to creme fraiche

I don't know how much help that is though -
Aug 21  # 3 of 12
I do know that the Greeks make a Creme Patissiere but it contains egg yolks and panna cotta doesn't.
Aug 21  # 4 of 12
A friend suggested blanc mange as the French version.

I hadn't thought about that, but she's right. Modern versions are made with gelatin (the original, back in the Middle Ages, used rice flour as a thickener).

Creme fraiche isn't thickened like a custard. It's more like a bitter sour cream. In fact, a quickee version can be made by mixing buttermilk into sour cream.

What makes panna cotta unique is that it (and its French and Greek relatives, if they truly exist) is a custard that neither uses eggs nor is cooked. That makes it different from virtually all other custards.

Something I've been finding out that came as a surprise is the number of recipes there are for savory versions of panna cotta. I've always just thought of it as a sweet.

I figure you're right about the Greek version. It is most likely based on yogurt rather than cream.
Aug 21  # 5 of 12
It is surprising to find so many savory recipes for panna cotta! No longer a sweet! Trying to find the ancient title for it is almost impossible - everything refers to panna cotta!