Dec 27  # 1 of 3
I'm wondering if y'all have any food-oriented traditions for celebrating New Year's?

Around here, naturally, we have the traditional peas & greens on New Year's day. That's an old southern tradition. The peas are for luck, and the greens for wealth.

But we've a family tradition as well. Every New Year's Eve I make Bananas Foster. Only we don't call 'em that. Back when my niece was a toddler (and, omigod! she's got kids of her own that age, now) she couldn't get her mouth around Bananas Foster. They came out as Banana Frosties. And so they remain to this day---at least on New Year's Eve.

How 'bout the rest of you?
Dec 27  # 2 of 3
Honestly, New Years I think is the one holiday when we don't make anything traditional. I think part of the problem is, half the time were too hungover to even want to cook, LOL.. So I guess if I had to name something we have done on more than one NY holiday, it would be Chinese food as we tend to order out.
Dec 27  # 3 of 3
Dear KYH,

It has got to be black-eyed peas and (collard) or most likely turnip greens with ham, and a roasted pork tenderloin!!! It wouldn't be New Year's Day with-out these wonderful foods! Desert will be a lovely tres leches cake!:D

Now today, back at work for the first day after Xmas break, my girl-friend brought in homemade sweet tamales for breakfast, I have never had the sweet ones before and they were scrumptous! In her culture (Mexican) it is tradition to make tamales over the holidays! I am always running around dropping not so subtle "hints" as to my overwhelming love of tamales, and I got lucky today:p I must confess that I love Mexican food first, last and always!!! Do not ask why, 'cause I honestly do not know! I feel deprived :o if I do not get some Mexican cusine at least once a week! A few reasons may be the avacado, onion, sour cream, and cheese used to complement the dish ;)

I hope you will all enjoy your New Years celebrations! And Jafo remember the cure to a good hangover
oops
there isn't one :( LOL

CCCathy