Apr 4  # 1 of 15
not your own??

I'm just curious what your favorit ethnic or regional food is, excluding your own.

For me it's North African, in general, and Moroccan in particular. I've come toit relatively late---just in the past couple of years---but it's getting to be obsessive. Just this week, for instance, I've made two tagines and various North African sides.

How about the rest of you?
Apr 4  # 2 of 15
Boy, and which is my favorite child?
Most weeks I would answer Italian, Greek, Turkish. From side of the Mediterranean, I love the variety of vegetables, oils, breads, just about everything.

But then, am still working on expanding my Thai and Indian repertoire. Among my clients on board are several guys from UK who are helping with the Indian part.

Am also delving into African foods, The North has many of the flavors I already love. Have an old copy of the Time-Life series on Africa, really interested in the Ethiopian section with all the wonderful grains and beans.

Have you looked at Egyptian foods? I haven't yet, but from a couple of gentlemen I worked with, it seems to have a lot of Greek and Turkish influence?

Good thread KY, sorry I can't commit to one, hehe,
Nan
Apr 4  # 3 of 15
Hello KYH and Nan,

Yes a delightful subject indeed! Ethnic cusines, well...I make no secret of my absolute love for Mexican cusine, then Med. or Greek & Middleastern Cusine.

I am very interested in this African cusine, you mention and the tagines, I will research it, am always open to new suggestions. It is fun to try new things! One of my favorite veggies-Okra-came to the US via Africa.

Thanks for sharing, Cathy
Apr 4  # 4 of 15
Regarding the Egyptian foods, Nan, I would say, overall, it's a transition cuisine between the pure Mideastern/Turkish and the pure North African, with lot's of unique aspects of its own. Plus an overlay of other African influences. And you have to differentiate between the food of the cities, which is rich and luxuriously spiced, and that of the desert, which is simpler and more straightforward.

Interesting that you mention Greek influences. I've always considerd Greek food to also be a transitionary cuisine, between that of the Northern Med and the Mideast. With, of course, many unique aspects of its own.

Cathy: SubSaharan cuisines are very different from North African. For instance, to use your own example, okra is virtually unused in North Africa, except in Egypt.

There are several good books on the subject, and a great website, "The Congo Cookbook" (Welcome to The Congo Cookbook - The Congo Cookbook (African recipes) www.congocookbook.com -) that delves into many of those cuisines.

One item you'll find mentioned frequently is pumpkin. What is meant, most of the time, is a small, white, very sweet pumpkin called calabrase. I have just arranged seed for it, from an Afrikaans friend, and will be growing it this year. But if you choose any of those recipes, butternut squash substitutes nicely.
Apr 4  # 5 of 15
Kyh,
I Want To Thank You For The Interesting Info. I Hope You Will Let Us Know How The Squash Grow And Taste. I Wonder If You Could Use Yellow Crookneck Squash Or Zuccini Squash As Well? Would It Tend To Be Too Moist For The Dishes Calling For The Calabrase? Just Wondering Out Loud.
Any Way I Want To Search The Site You Referenced And See If It Looks Like Something I May Want To Try!
Cathy