Jun 25  # 1 of 24
When preparing these types food do you find the prep work

1] The same as any other meal you would prepare?

2] Easier and less time consuming?

3] More time consuming?

I am interested in making some new recipes I have found on-line and I am just wondering what to exspect.

Some of the presentations are simlpy beautiful. They seem like to me that they would be terribly time consuming though!
Jun 25  # 2 of 24
When you first make them they may seem time consuming but you will find ways to cut the time down considerably.
Jun 25  # 3 of 24
Ok Mama, I will dive in, but I figure I'll do it when I have plenty of time on my hands just in case! I love doing stuff like my fancy deviled eggs and I doll them all up [thus they usually disappear fastest] pretty like and it takes a little extra time to make the appearance so tempting, but it really is worth it. I figure these new recipes will be similar to that!
Jun 25  # 4 of 24
It's hard to tell you how long it will take - we all have our own speed at certain things. And you may be able to do much of the prep work ahead of time.

You're smart to do it when you have the time - it's the best way to judge.
Jun 25  # 5 of 24
It really depends, Cathy, on what you are making, and where you draw the line at prep work.

For instance, with my mini-hot browns, do we count the time it takes to bake the bread?

If you're making albandigas it takes some time to grind the meats and clean the grinder. Obviously, less time is needed if you start with ground meats.

Other than that, as a general rule, assembly time will take longer, precisely because you are combining lots of little pieces instead of just a few large ones. Each of those little pieces requires its own prep work.

For instance, Nino Grazianno's deceptively simple appearing Puree of Fava Beans with Scampi and Ricotta requires that you make the puree, that you make the scampi, that you julienne and saute speck (a specialized ham similar to---but maybe better---than serrano), etc. And then do the assembly.

You'll find that very often before you can make Z you have to make Y---and maybe W and X---first. With Cindy Pawlcyn's rather wonderful Mini Duck Burgerswith Shiitake Mushroom Ketchup and Chinese-Style Mustard sauce you have to make (these are separate recipes, now) Mongolian Marinade, shiitake mushroom ketchup, and mustard sauce. And then prepare the duck. Plus if, like around here, you cannot buy the mini-brioche buns, you have to make them.

Plus you'll spend more time on the overall presentation as well.

Also consider that much of the prep timing really depends on how adept you are with knives, and how sharp you keep them. In the latest Saveur magazine, Morimoto demonstrates making a fine julliene of daikon. He starts by cutting a thin (you literally can read through it) scroll. Typically, from one daikon, it runs 6 feet long. He then cuts that into 3" squares, piles them up in a deck, and makes a hair-thin julliene out of them. All in about the time I just took to tell you about it.

Obviously, you and I are not that good (Morimoto is the pre-eminent knife worker in the business, far as I'm concerned). But how much worse are we? What takes him just a couple of minutes would take you and me (if we could even do it) what? An hour? Two hours?

And of course, the more you do something the better at it you get. But when you're exploring the world of small bites, there is a diversity of techniques and you don't necessarily get the repitition you need.

Next question: How small is small? Mini-burgers are all the rage right now. And are considered part of the small-plates thing. So, too, are the finger pies I posted the other day. But they are gigantic compared, say, to Heinz Beck's Squid, Tomato and Punarelle Crostini, which sit on toast rectangles measuring a scant 1 x 3/4 inches.

Don't forget that with Tapas, Mezze, Dim Sum, etc., more than any other time, you eat with your eyes first.

But, basically, if you like to play with food, the art of the miniature may be for you. Personally, I love it., and am willing to put in the time it takes.

There is a major downside. When there's only two or three people involved, how do you geat it all? Most small plate recipes make enough for six or eight pass along samples (the idea is that each person in the group shares, and everyone gets several things to eat). But unless you want to make them small, but eat them as a main dish, then what? Just something to consider.

Another aspect is the collecting of serving pieces. I'm always on the lookout for dishes, racks, spoons, "shot" glasses, fancy picks and skewers and doodads that will meet my serving needs. For instance, with my seafood lollipops, I could just lay them out on a plate. But they look so much more appealing in a specal rack, that holds the sticks and displays them fully in an upright position. Putting things in cones is a big part of the small plates thing. But you have to have racks designed to hold them, or get creative with other devices.

Whew! That's probably a lot more than you wanted to know.