Jul 23  # 1 of 8
My niece's Prom photos came back recently and we were all discussing prom memories. Do you all remember where you ate- and WHAT you ordered?

My date and I (Jackie) double-dated our senior-year with David & Robin. We went to Jumer's Castle Lodge in Peoria. I remember we all had steak and lobster that was elegantly removed from it's shell tableside, and I know we ate dessert that was selected off of a wheeled cart, but I cannot recall what it was.
Jul 23  # 2 of 8
Strange as it may sound, I've never been to a prom. And I grew up when they weren't the Hollywood productions they've now become. Girls still made their own prom gowns back then; and members of the graduating class decorated the gym for the big event.

In Junior High I just wasn't interested in that sort of stuff. In High School I ran with a crowd that saw itself as far to sophisticated for childish things like a prom. We were too busy saving the world, I reckon. As a matter of fact, I didn't even attend graduation.

College? Do they even have proms at the college level? I dunno. My life, other than classes, had nothing to do with the school. I was older, a veteran, married, and working to support my education jones. To this day I wouldn't be able to direct you to the student union.
Jul 23  # 3 of 8
I think there are a lot of food memories related to school besides prom night, Chubby. I don't mean the quality of the cafiteria food, but special events at which food played a role.

Any problem expanding this thread to encompass some of those?
Jul 23  # 4 of 8
Heck no, KYH! Let's expand-away!

My first ever catered function was a school-event. I played 'Mr. Bumble' in the Spring Musical "Oliver!" and I was asked by the director to cater the cast-party for about 50 students, teachers and volunteers. I remember making deli-trays, assorted salads, chips & other munchies, and brownies for all- oh, and a punch bowl w/ fruited ice-ring! This was in 1984 when I was 17.
Jul 23  # 5 of 8
Well, one actually involves my youngest son.

Chad attended Vandercook College, then in Chicago but now out in the burbs. Vandercook is where you go if you're interested in music education.

Part of the graduation requirements is a recital. The student plays a selection of music, on his/her prime instrument (by the time they're done, at a minimum, they can play all 19 band instruments), and put out a reception for fellow students, facilty, and guests.

I catered the reception for him. What I did was come up with a finger-food dish that represented each country he was playing. That is, if one of the pieces was by a Russian composer (as it was) then piroshky was on the table.

As it turns out, there were seven countries in the recital, and it became quite a challenge. But in the end I did it. And to this day his classmates couldn't tell you what he played, but they remember the food.