What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grilling

That's a rough one, Tater.

Obviously, my real favorite is whatever I grilled last. :D

But, in order of preference I'd say: Brisket, ribs, veggies, chicken.

Kev your best Avatar to date!!! Love it & you are such a camera friendly person, keep on changing them, I like the new shots!!! Hey great cake too !!!

Thanks, Cath! I'm diggin' the heck outta sharing a diff avatar each day... I'm glad it's an option we can take advantage of! And thanks for the compliments on the photos... I'm a total HAM! I ain't as trim, hunky or pretty as I wished I were- far from it! But I definitely OWN ever wrinkle, gray hair & belly-roll. I'm a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kinda guy! Hell ANYBODY can be pretty & have the bod of Schwarzenegger and the grace of an Olympic gymnast... I choose to be clumsy, bumpy & frumpy! Besides- there are far too many perfect people in the world already... after a while they all look alike! Hee-Hee!

Cake was for Mom's birthday last May. It's a lemon ice-box layer cake with raspberry preserves and lemon-cream-cheese frosting. She made the very same cake for me once when I was little and when we celebrated her's last May I was able to dig up the pic of my birthday party years ago (I was like, 6) that showed the photo of the one she baked. She liked that- brought a tear to her eye!

Last edited:
I think it just depends on my mood. Probably steak, but I have been falling in love with grilled zucchini lately.

Yep, grilled zukes are delish too, Jafo... and one doesn't need to fancy'em up at all- just some oil or butter, and S&P is all they need!

Cake was for Mom's birthday last May. It's a lemon ice-box layer cake with raspberry preserves and lemon-cream-cheese frosting. She made the very same cake for me once when I was little and when we celebrated her's last May I was able to dig up the pic of my birthday party years ago (I was like, 6) that showed the photo of the one she baked. She liked that- brought a tear to her eye!

That is way too neat, I know you are a terrific son, and I sure think that is close enough to perfect in my Book!

have you ever tried grilling a banana split???

12 large firm-ripe bananas, unpeeled, skins washed with detergent before using to remove residue
3 bars (4 oz. each) milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
1 tbsp. Safeway Cinnamon
3 pt. of your favorite Safeway SELECT™ Ice Cream
3 cups Lucerne® Whipping Cream, lightly sweetened to taste and whipped (optional)
3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
12 Safeway Maraschino Cherries (optional)

1. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for direct, medium-high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above the cooking grate only 2 to 3 seconds; visit our Grilling Essential section for complete instructions).

2. While grill heats, cut into each unpeeled banana lengthwise, making a deep slit but taking care to avoid cutting all the way through. Slip pieces of chocolate into each pocket and sprinkle with some of the cinnamon. Wrap each banana in foil.

3. Lay bananas on cooking grate; cover gas grill. Cook, turning once, until soft when squeezed with tongs, about 10 minutes. Lift bananas onto a platter.

4. Carefully unwrap each banana and place on a plate with the cut side facing up. Top each with small scoops of ice cream; add a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkling of walnuts, and a cherry, if you like.

SAFEWAY

Diet? Diet? Are you kidding? It's only a week until you're here. And by the time I'm done with you Eddie will be able to roll you home.

Never forget, if anyone accuses you of being out of shape, that round is a definate shape.

hmmm... if i could have it my way i would grill everything! i've been grilling a lot of shrimp lately though.

do smores count as a grilled item? :)

I have to give CAG's grilled shrimp idea 2 thumbs way up!!! They are wonderful, I baste mine with a little lemon, butter, garlic sauce as I grill them and just remenber they get done very fast and DO NOT OVER COOK!

Yeah, Haley... as Cathy offers, her garlic/lemon/butter sauce is marvelous on shrimp... and also as she remarks, shrimp really cook FAST so depending on what you plan to use them for- as far as eating right away, right off the grill, versus tossing in the fridge for a use next day... over-cooking is an easy thing to have happen. For us, for a pizza the next day, I would likely purposefully under-cook them on the weber the day before just to keep them somewhat edible... or perhaps wrap them in damp lettuce leaves and place in a cooler part of the grill to make cooking take a wee bit longer so they're exposed to the smokiness for fuller flavor... (Also- of course you may know these things already, forgive if we're offering too danged much guidance here!)

speaking of shrimp in which i have been craving lately has anyone had Salt and Sugar Shrimp Kabobs before i can give you the link to the recipe if you like.

Back