What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh Bay Scallop's

P

pepperman

Just wanted to share one of our greatest experiences in many years, Vaviel and I bought a weekend place in Steinhatchee a few years ago. Mainly for fishing. During our first year there we were introduced to snorkeling for Bay Scallops. The season runs from the first of July to the second weekend in September. Commercial harvesting is illegal. Recreational harvesting is only allowed during this time. They're found in the 2' to 5' depth on the grass flats.

This has to be one of my favorite foods, They are sweet and tasty, can be prepared many ways. The secret is to not over cook them. Unlike Clams and Oysters, your eating only :Dthe muscle that attaches the lower and upper shell.

I would like to challenge everyone to plain a scallop trip in the future, I don't think you would be disappointed. It's a great family adventure.

The food is remarkable. Nothing like the frozen scallops we're a custom to.

Thanks
The pepperman

Pepperman thank you for the great info. on scallops and in FL no less (my home state growing up and favorite vacation state!)!!! Steinhatchee is one town I have never stopped to visit at, although I have passed through. I certainly never knew about the scallops. I will be planning a trip soon enough now that you let us know.

Thanks again, Cathy

P.S. Do you need a license to snorkle for them? Have you ever gone down around the FL Keys and snorkeled for FL Lobster? I love them they are tasty little lobster tails and since you have snorkeling experience that's a bonus right there, you could go down for a weekend to the Keys just to stock up on some lobster! Just a suggestion, but one of my favorite seafood meals is scallops and lobster M-m-m good!

Last edited:
Cathy,
The only licence needed is the saltwater fishing , If you hire a guild there is no licence required. I did forget to mention the state.

We do make a trip to the Keys each year

The pepperman:D

Back