Aug 14  # 1 of 18
As cooks, most of us pro'lly adored Mrs. Julia Child (still do!). I know I was raised watching her shows on PBS and she's always been my #1 kitchen idol (My Mom came in at a distant second!).

In case you haven't had time to see- Julia's plastered all over the news today in print and on the tube. It appears w/ the recent release of previously top-secret WW2 documents, much of the world is now learning that Mrs. Child was a "spy".

Well, Julia was always honest and upfront with us- though I'm sure there likely were certain bits of info she was prohibited from sharing openly.

Inside the jacket of even her earliest two cookbooks her author bio plainly stated that after graduation from Smith College she joined the OSS (Office of Strategic Services- the predecessor of today's CIA) and went to Ceylon and China to work. There she met her hubby, Mr. Paul Child- then after the war they transferred to France where Julia reluctantly decided to learn to cook (in her early forties!). The rest of course- is HISTORY!

Julia's always been a legendary hero in my book- and this "new" recent news- though freaky & quirksome to many- does nothing but add to her character- and show the devotion to her causes, in my eyes. She and I differ politically (she was a staunch liberal Democrat- and I'm a l'il more conservative on certain issues) so some may begin to see her as "James Bond", or a Tom Clancy charcater... I will always see her though as the adorable Grande Dame of Cuisine who was just as at home whisking a hollandaise and folding a mousse, as she was pouring ketchup onto a perfectly-made cheese-burger.

God Bless you, Mrs. Child, and Bon Appetit!

(BTW- keep an eye out for the movie about Julia coming out in '09- Meryl Streep plays her! Also- visit her famous Cambridge home-kitchen complete with hickory work-island, aqua-colored peg-board/pan-rack, and hanging copper pans at Washington DC's Smithsonian Institute. Lastly- ALL of her books are now in print again- many available USED at Amazon for ridiculously-cheap prices! EVERY home cook needs at least one Julia Child cookbook in their collection! Visit Amazon by way of Brook's Chef Talk channels because if you make a purchase via that route, it benefits him gloriously!) :)
Aug 14  # 2 of 18
Sh did lead a very interesting life! I have not yet read the article, but will now. I meant to earlier and got interupted!

Thanks for sharing Kev!
Aug 14  # 3 of 18
I may be the only one who thinks this - but I don't feel she was that great of a cook or baker! She paved the way for other women - but in the beginning days of cook shows there really wasn't much to pick from - Julia Child, James Beard, and some hometown heros (Like Meet the Millers) in this area, etc.

As years passed I swear she was half pickled doing her shows!
Aug 14  # 4 of 18
I was just reading that a few min ago.
Aug 14  # 5 of 18
Well, I think part of her appeal- especially at the time, was that she and Beard definitely were pioneers, mama. Heck, before the days of Food Network there was very little out there and her books, shows and work definitely paved the way. Without Julia- there never woulda been a Martha, Ina, or Rachel that's for sure! Part of her charm for me was always her honesty and her comfort with admitting her faults, flaws and mistakes.

Also- despite the name chosen for her, for a book and accompanying tv program ('The French Chef'), many called her a "chef" though she herself never claimed to be one. In fact she often made a clear distinction between what she did at home and on the air- and what professionals did day-in and day-out in the work-place. I love her t' death!