Aug 15  # 1 of 7
Jons Dad got me a bushel of peaches today.
Does anyone have some good recipes for canning peaches they are willing to share? Thanks!
Aug 15  # 2 of 7
Fresh Peach Salsa
3 firm peaches (about 1 lb.)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 ripe tomatoes (about 1/2 lb.)
6 large green onions
1 tbsp. canned jalapeno peppers,
chopped
1 tbsp. cilantro, coarsely chopped
12 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp. sherry vinegar
2 tbsp. honey

Dip peaches into boiling water and then peel the skins.

Cut peaches into thin strips, discarding pits.

Toss with lemon juice.

Dip tomatoes into boiling water, then peel and seed them. Cut into medium julienne strips.

Combine peaches and tomatoes.

Add onions, peppers and cilantro.

Mix well.

Whisk together oil, vinegar and honey.

Pour over other ingredients. If using within several hours, no need to refrigerate; otherwise cover and refrigerate.

Spicy Peach Preserves
3-1/2 pounds peaches, peeled and chopped (about 4 cups)*
2 green jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 (1.75-ounce) box powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

1. Wash jars, lids, and bands in hot, soapy water and rinse very well. Dry bands and set aside.

2. Keep jars and lids heated in a saucepan of simmering water until ready to fill the jars.

3. Combine peaches, jalapeno peppers, red bell pepper, ginger, cayenne pepper, and lime juice in a 6-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in powdered pectin. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

4. Add sugar to fruit mixture, stirring to dissolve. Bring mixture to a full boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from mixture.

5. Remove jars from simmering water to a clean towel, one at a time, with a jar lifter or pair of tongs. Using a canning funnel, ladle hot preserves into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe the rim and threads of each jar with a clean, damp cloth. Place a heated lid on the jar, and screw a band down evenly and firmly. Place the filled jar in a boiling water bath canner. Repeat procedure with remaining preserves and jars.

6. When canner is full, add enough boiling water to cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Place lid on canner and bring to a boil. Process preserves for 10 minutes.

7. Using a jar lifter, remove jars from canner and set them upright on a clean towel, and let cool 12 to 24 hours. Do not try to tighten the bands any further at this point. As the jars cool, you might hear a popping noise. Don't worry, this is just to let you know that a vacuum has formed, and the jars are properly sealed.

8. To test each jar for the proper seal, press the center of the lid. The jars are properly sealed if the lid does not flex up and down. If is not sealed, you can refrigerate the jar and use the contents within 2 to 3 weeks. Or you can reprocess the jar with a new lid for the full 10 minutes as described in step 6. Remove bands, and wipe jars and lids with a clean, damp cloth. Label and store jars in a cool, dry, dark place. Store jars up to 1 year.

Makes about 6 (8oz) Jars
Aug 15  # 3 of 7
Yum, mama. I make a fresh grilled salmon dish with a delicious sauce made from carmelized onions and store-bought peach preserves. This salsa would be a yummy substitute! Thanks 4 sharing!

I'm currently reading "A Taste of Country Cooking" by legendary Sotuthern cook Edna Lewis. She writes of childhood memories of the season's finest peaches sliced, sugared and served over vanilla ice-cream right outta her Grandpa's churn.

She wrote in the 70's that when she dies, she hopes her mama meets her at the pearly gates with a bowl of this treat to welcome her home. Miss Edna passed away a couple years back and I hope her dream of these peaches sugared by her mama in heaven indeed came true...
Aug 15  # 4 of 7
Mama Im def gonna make the spicy peach preserves. Thanks a bunch!
Aug 15  # 5 of 7
Can't help you with this one since I don't can anything. But I do love pickled peaches.