What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandwiches?

chubbyalaskagriz

New avatar shows chubbyalaskagriz as a much slimmer 5 lb. newborn! (I'm the smaller one without the tattoos!) :)

As I sit in the carrier atop our formica kitchen table posed near the vintage 1950's/60's frigidaire "icebox", my Pop munches down on a stack of grilled cheese sandiwches. Today Dad still loves a good grilled cheese- and so do I! (My Mom used to make us grilled cheddar sandwiches on cinnamon-raisin bread, which some folks find weird- but I think they're heavenly!) I also love rubens, patty melts and other grilled sandwiches. Also burgers, deep-fried pork tenderloins, pulled pork bbq, sloppy joes, chili dogs, subs/hoagies/heroes/grinders, etc. In fact, I love so many different types of sandwiches, I could pro'lly eat a different sandwich everyday for a year and be happily satisfied! What are YOUR favorite sandwiches- and do you have any secrets for making a certain sandwich the BEST ever?

OMG - stack up those rolls for some real belly-busting sammies! anything goes!

Split a loaf of Italian bread, French bread or foccacia and fill 'em up! Anything goes!

I can make some really awesome sammies - hoagies, subs, grinders - whatever you wnt to call them.

Here's one for you to enjoy - LOL (I just had to post this one!)

Dagwood Bumstead Sandwich

3 lg Onions
1 Head lettuce
4 Tomatoes, sliced
1 Lobster tail
1 Eagle talon
1 Fish (pref.2-days old)
1 Pot spaghetti - Cold and gooey
1 lb Bacon (cooked?)
1 Meatloaf
1 Ham
1 Fried egg (over easy)
1 String of sausages
1 Mayonnaise, gallon
1 Jar of pickle relish
1 Tin of sardine in oil
1 Bottle of ketchup
1 Bottle Sweet mustard
1 Hot mustard
1 Loaf Bread
Assorted cheese
Assorted vegetables
Assorted olives

Now that he has announced joining his wife's catering business, cartoon chowhound Dagwood Bumstead is releasing the recipe
for his famous Dagwood sandwich. See ingredients above. See
directions below.

DIRECTIONS: Arrange the ingredients between two slices of bread.
Serves one.

OK OK - on a more serious note: This Blondie does make Dagwoods - and as far as I'm concerned - ANYTHING GOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mangia!!

but even Emeril makes one -

Dagwood Stacked Sandwich

1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Pinch Essence, recipe follows
10 thick slices white sandwich bread
1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
1/4 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
1/2 pound thinly sliced turkey breast
1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone
1/2 pound thinly sliced roast beef
1/4 pound thinly sliced mild Cheddar
1/2 pound thinly sliced pastrami
1/4 pound thinly sliced pepper jack cheese or Monterey jack if pepper jack is too spicy
1/2 pound sliced salami
5 pieces thick-cut bacon, cooked crisp and halved
1 medium tomato, cut into thin slices (about 5)
10 whole green leaf lettuce leaves, washed, patted dry, and stem end removed
3 red cherry tomatoes
3 small pickle slices
3 long metal skewers
Potato chips, accompaniment

Combine mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Season with chopped garlic and Essence.

Arrange 5 bread slices on a large cutting board. Spread 2 tablespoons of the mayonnaise mixture evenly on each slice.

Layer the meat and cheeses evenly among the bread slices in this order: pepperoni, Swiss, turkey, provolone, roast beef, cheddar, pastrami, pepper jack, and salami. (Fold the meats so that the sandwiches will stack evenly on top of each other.) Top each of the sandwiches with tomato slices and the remaining bread slices.

Spread about 1 tablespoon of the mayonnaise mixture on top of each sandwich and lay 2 bacon halves on top of each sandwich.

Place 1 cherry tomato and 1 pickle slice through each skewer.

Carefully build the Dagwood Sandwich by stacking all 5 sandwiches on top of each other. Separate the sandwiches by placing 2 lettuce leaves in between.

To keep the sandwich tower from falling over, fit the skewers into the sandwich tower all the way through the center. To serve, pull off the desired amount of bread, meat and cheese, and serve with potato chips on the side.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Yield: 2/3 cup

mama- NOW you're talkin'! MMMMM!!!

Do you have access to a chain called "Jimmy-John's" I haven't looked online at all- don't know how wide-spread they are, but I do know they're all over the mid-west.

They make fantastic subs on huge, crusty rolls way too big for even me to finish! They have one called the "Gargantuan" that's every meat and cheese they have in the house- times TWO! Oh! Let me tell you, it's somethin' else!

Jimmy John's Menu

Last edited:
One of them opened here in town about six months ago, Chubby. I haven't had a chance to try them. But I'm told they're kind of on the high side.

They are pricy compared to say, Subway. One can get a sammie at Subway for $4.oo while one at JJ's will run twice that. But they are much more than double the fulfillment! Trust me! Try a "Gargantuan". It'll affect you! Their chips and extra-large cookies are awesome, too!

Tuna

I Love a Good Tuna sandwich, just had one today at Jimmy John's on french bread It's the Best! :p

When I make my own tuna salad I use a lot of sweet relish & light mayo with chopped celery. I put it on a onion bagel with a slice of Munster cheese. Cookie :)

Last edited:
We really like Quiznos. One opened here about a month ago. We just got around to trying it a week ago. They are about twice the price of Subway but worth every penny. I love their classic Italian.

OH Yea, Quiznos is really good to. I love there warm sandwiches in the winter. I like sub-way in the warmer months. Cookie :)

I've never been to Quizno's janie- but I see a tv ad showing a hot, shaved prime rib sammie there that looks OH SO GOOD!

...and Cookie- I have also had JJ's tuna sub and I agree... it IS delicious too!

Not for nothing but, the last thing it would occur to me to buy in a sub shop is something like tuna. I mean that's so simple to throw together at home, why pay somebody else to do it?

If I'm buying a sandwich I want it to be something I'm not likely to make myself. That Quisnos' shaved prime rib, for instance, is a sandwich I might order, cuz I'd never make it at home.

I Love Tuna it's just such a great light meal you can eat any where at any time. When I'm out & about don't want to make even a sandwich it's fun to get whatever you have a taste for.
I have not tried the shaved prime rib at Quisnos' that sounds good, maybe I'll give it a try. Cookie :)

Back