Sep 12  # 1 of 12
Some events we prefer to do all the cooking for, ourselves...

But, when you host a potluck, an appetizer party, a dessert buffet, or a casual tailgate gathering what do you hope certain folks on your guest-list bring?

Is Mary known for her special spinach-dip? Frank for his spectacular cheesecake? Rhoda for her out-of-this-world l'il smokeys?

And when folks invite YOU- what is it they secretly hope YOU bring to their function? :)
Sep 12  # 2 of 12
I do not get the chance to make as many side dishes as I would like because Im the one who always cooks the main course. When your cooking a ham and turkey in my tiny kitchen it doesnt leave much room for sides. Plus, I always make atleast a couple different desserts for our family dinners. I always make the coleslaw, potato salad and deviled eggs. Everyone wants a roasted veggie and I make fresh brioche rolls. Have to make homemade mac and cheese with some smoked pepper bacon crumbles in it. Jon's Dad makes some stuff but he is so obsessed with fat and salt/sugar that it is all bland.
I cook for a couple days and take things to his Dads to get everything done. I always make a cheese ball and one other appetizer for people to munch on because someone is always going to be late and hold off dinner for everyone else. I was delighted when I found a crudite platter at the flea market. It will be nice to add some fresh veggies and dip to the next holiday dinner.

When I go to his Moms for holiday dinners I dont take anything unless she asks me to. She normally orders the meal from somewhere premade or orders pizzas.
Sep 12  # 3 of 12
I wouldn't know like to bring "something" since I am the one that does it all - you just bring your appetite - and you usually go home with loads of goodies!
Sep 12  # 4 of 12
That's a rough one, Kevin. So many possibilities.

I think folks who know me would prefer a cross sampling of my various small plate type offerings. Nothing particular stands out, except maybe my mini-hot browns. But that would just be among the Kentuckians.

My pineapple cheese casserole (you know, that secret dish shared by only a few million midwesterners) seems to always be welcome.

As to what others bring to me. There's one friend who's sausage balls are to die for, and she can always bring a platter of those. Another friend specializes in wierd casseroles---never had the same one twice, never was disappointed. He's made things like hominy casseroles, and hash brown casseroles. It's all good.
Sep 12  # 5 of 12
I always bring desert. Guess what, Cookie :)