What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What food did you eat today?

jglass

I had...

Two cups of coffee with french vanilla creamer, left over birthday cake (amaretto cake I made myself lol), home made chicken pot pie, spring water and strawberry twizzlers.

I am going to make an apple crostada and I am making Mama's Marinara. We are having ravioli tomorrow and I am making pizza in a few days :)

For breakfast I had a toasted bagel with American cheese & a fried egg on top of it and a cup of coffee with cream & sugar. I made it myself! :p

For lunch-dinner I had Jimmy - Johns Turkey Tom on French Bread with a diet coke. :cool:

I made Sloppy Jo-es for tomorrow's dinner with onion and green and red sweet peppers. cookie :)

Since I work the graveyard shift, my meals are all cock-eyed from ya'll's these days, but here's what I had (tho not necessarily at the times you might think I had them! ha!).

Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ frozen blueberries and maple syrup added, and a banana

Lunch: a Lean Cuisine spinach/muhroom pizza and a pear...

Supper: Pork Chop, a baked sweet potato, broccoli and some leftover tabouleh faked w/ cous-cous rather than bulger...

Well, an unexpected business teleconference screwed up my timing, so we ate out last night at a newish Italian restaurant that opened in town. I had Veal Masala, Friend Wife had a house speciality of quail and Flatiron. Both very nice.

Other than coffee I don't do breakfast. Around 11ish I had a sandwich---fried egg, bacon, cheese on homemade wheat toast. Feeling a little peckish later in the afternoon I had some homemade pimento-cheese spread on gougeres.

Haven't a clue what I'll have for lunch, today. But tonight it'll be the rack of lamb I didn't make yesterday. I'm doing that in a Greek style, with a tomato/herb sauce and sauteed potatoes and carrots. For a starter I'm doing my mushroom puffs.

Well..I started my day at 5 am yesterday with Black Coffee....Had to go with Hubby back to Dr so that was a one and a half hour drive to be there at 8 am. Didn't get home till..4 pm so missed lunch...and for Dinner we ate at church since it was the regular Fellowship meal. They had casseroles galore and vege's and salds and cakes and pies.Guess I was too tired. I just ate a Pork Tenderloin Sandwich and a slice of Lemon pie.

You gonna leave us in suspense? Or you gonna tell us what the doctor said?

OOPS ! Sorry.....He got a good report mostly....he has a bit of redness and swelling still and a some infection in one small area. But Dr gave him new meds for that and it should take care of it.He is not having anymore pain and has more movement in his wrist.He starts physical theraphy Monday after they take the stitches out.

Sounds like he's on his way to recovery. Thank goodness for that.

Breakfast:Milk with 4 bananas
Lunch: Rice+4 chapaties with indain vegetables
Dinner: 1 bear before dinner and than take one pizza etc

So far this morning (I'm still at work- the graveyard shift, don'cha know? Ha!) I've had a spinach salad w/ chicken, grape tomatoes, hard-cooked eggs, smoke-house and a bit of fresh pineapple and a drizzle of honey-mustard dressing.

(janie- LOVE the new avatar! The l'il girls are cutey-pies!)

Breakfast:Milk with 4 bananas
Lunch: Rice+4 chapaties with indain vegetables
Dinner: 1 bear before dinner and than take one pizza etc

Did you still have room for dinner after you ate the bear?

:) HI ALL,This morning before work I had coffee w cream and sugar a Chocolate biscuit, Lunch had key lime lite yoga rt with a chocolate chip granola bar , diet coke. For dinner I made Tilapia fish with whole wheat angel hair pasta and veggies, cream sauce with Parmesan cheese. For dessert I had 5 pieces of the small Reese's peanut butter cups. It was a Lovely Day! Cookie :)

Last edited:
well today was an off day with me no appetite.I had my morning coffee.....no lunch...and 2 oatmeal cookies....lol...

As usual, just coffee until about noon. Then I had a few wassa crackers with ham, swiss, and olives.

For dinner it was a squid-chickpea-turnip stew, bulgar, and an orange & beet salad. We rarely have dessert, but on a whim I made a lemon panna cotta with raspberry sauce.

Okay, Just got back from the nearby Wal-Mart where I spent my lunch-break... Tonight's meal was utterly ridiculous and quite haphazard 'cause I had me some weird cravin's! What did I eat for my meal as I sat in my car in the parking-deck here at work? Half a dish of tapioca, a bag of sour cream & onion bagel chips, a small dish of egg salad (that I dipt the bagel chips into!) and 5 pieces from the bag of Brach's sugared orange slices! YUM- breakfast of CHAMPIONS!

>RE: "squid-chickpea-turnip stew"<

It's a North African dish, Kevin. From a lady in Tunis. I can post the recipe if you like, but you'll have to start by asking Cathy to send some of her ras el hanout mixture.

Please do post it that sounds delicious.

Today for breakfast I had an odwalla bar since we had to get up early to go to the doctor.

Lunch is a zuni roll with carrot & apple salad & dinner will be left over venison chili with corn bread, coconut pudding for dessert. Yum!

Well, you guys aren't gonna let me get away without typing, huh.

This comes from Fiona Dunlop's The North African Kitchen, a wonderful book that focuses on the dishes of the Maghreb as prepared by private cooks. The recipe was developed by a lady named Dalila Amdouni.

The Moroccan Pumpkin Soup recipe I posted a few days came from this same great book.

The ingredient amounts may appear strange. But keep in mind they are based on metric measurements. So don't hesitate to round off 2 lb 4 oz (a kilo, you see) squid to two pounds. Etc.

Seiches en Leftiyha
(Squid with Turnip)

2 lb 4 oz squid, prepared, rinsed, and cut into equalsized parts*
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Olive oil, for frying
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 heaping tsp ras el hanout
1 heaping tsp turmeric
About 1 3/4 cups water
5 1/2 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed**
1 lb 2 oz small turnips, peeled and chopped into quarters
Leaves from a bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Lightly season the squid with salt and pepper and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.

Heat a little oil in a saucepan and add the onion, squid, and spices. Cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring continuously, until the onion is soft. Add the water and chickpeas, stir well, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and cook gently for about 45 minutes.

Add the turnips and parsley, increas the heat and simmer hard for 15 minutes to reduce the liquid. Adjust the seasoning, if necessary, before serving.

*For this recipe I used bodies only, but there's no real reason not to include the tenticles.

**I started with dried chickpeas, which were soaked overnight and cooked separately. Does it make a difference? Who knows? I don't use canned stuff.

The turnips we got from the market were slightly on the bitter side. That only gets worse if you freeze them. So, for the leftovers, I fished out the remaining turnip pieces and discarded them; added some stock and an additional handful of garbanzos, and froze the rest as a Squid & Chickpea soup.

Back