Oct 18  # 1 of 13
Would a buttermilk brine make your holiday turkey tender? I love to soak my chicken in buttermilk and spices/herbs before frying but has anyone ever tried it with their turkey before roasting? I always brine my turkey in the usual salt/sugar/water and spices. I was thinking of getting a little 10 pound turkey and trying it to see how it does.
Oct 18  # 2 of 13
would you like a recipe?

Buttermilk Brine for Chicken or Turkey

Plan ahead - the chicken needs to marinade in the buttermilk brine for a minimum of 8 hours or up to 24 hours. This brine is enough to cover about 4 pounds chicken pieces. You can double the recipe and use it on a small whole turkey also, the cumin is only optional.

1 quart brine
1 quart buttermilk
1 small onion, finely chopped (or use 1/2 cup chopped shallots)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic (or use 2 teaspoons garlic powder)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cumin (can use up to 1 tablespoon) (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

1In a large bowl mix or whisk the buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin (if using) and black pepper until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved.
2Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
3Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture; toss with clean hands to coat the chicken in the mixture.
4Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 8-24 hours.
5Rinse the chicken quick and just slightly under cold water to remove the onions and garlic if desired before cooking or grilling.
6Grill or oven-bake as desired
Oct 18  # 3 of 13
I had downloaded that same one Kittencal's Buttermilk Brine for Chicken or Turkey from recipezaar last year but I was curious if anyone had ever actually tried it.
Oct 19  # 4 of 13
We all know that buttermilk works WONDERS for chicken- so I imagine the same would be true with turkey too, janie- though I've personally never tried it.

I've brined turkey with salt, herbs and apple juice for years and I swear by that method!

I'll be real curious to hear your feedback w/ the buttermilk method!
Oct 19  # 5 of 13
I got that recipe from one of the gals in my recipe club - it's be passed around so much that I didn't know where it came from - thanks for lettimg me know.