What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peppermint Extract

jglass

I have a biscotti recipe I want to try that calls for peppermint extract.
OF course I cannot find it in this town. Can I use a little peppermint oil I have from the health food store in place of the extract? If so how much should I use? The recipe calls for 2t peppermint extract.
Im going to WalMart later this week but I doubt they are going to have the peppermint extract there either.

Peppermint extract is made with peppermint essential oil so as long as it's food grade and not a room scent sort of thing it should be fine. You will just want to use less because it will be stronger. Maybe start with 1/4 of what you would usually use in extract and see how that does.

Last edited:
here you go, there are several links on a search--looks like 1/4 teaspoon for 1 teaspoon-

Questions and Answers - Peppermint Oil vs Peppermint Extract

and
Peppermint extract - Ingredients, Substitutions and Equivalents

and this is a neat site for checking lots of things-

Cook's Thesaurus: Extracts and Flavoring Oils

I am a bit concerned, are you sure this oil is food quality grade? It should say on the bottle or you could give the health food store a call. I just seem to recall having some essential oils that I had being labeled "not food quality grade"?

sounds like a nice recipe. I tossed the catalog, but I think it's on Williams Sonoma website--white chocolate bark covered with crushed peppermint candy--thinking there must be a fun way to use this concept.

Have a super day,
Nan

edit---was posting at same time as jfain-whoops, she said it better and way shorter!!!

Last edited:
peppermint extract Notes: This is used to make candy canes, mints, and peppermint patties. Substitutes: peppermint oil (One part flavoring oil is roughly equivalent to four parts extract, but this may vary according to the products used. To be safe, begin by substituting 1/8 teaspoon of oil per teaspoon of extract, then add more drops of oil until you're satisfied with the flavor.) OR creme de menthe (use much more) OR peppermint schnapps (Substitute 1 or 2 tablespoons schnapps for each teaspoon of extract) OR vanilla extract (use more)

hey, been thinking about that crushed candy thing. How about getting the red and green peppermint disks and crushing them, could sprinkle on sugar cookies or brownies?
Nan

I finally tried this recipe.
PEPPERMINT BISCOTTI

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons peppermint extract
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed peppermint candy

FROSTING:
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy

1 In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract.
Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in peppermint candy. Gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until blended (dough will be stiff).
2 Divide dough in half. On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each portion into a 12-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 1/2-in.
slices. Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
3 In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth.
Drizzle over biscotti; sprinkle with candy.
Place on waxed paper until set. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.

I just melted some dark chocolate chips in the microwave and coated one side of the biscotti with it and then sprinkled on the crushed peppermint. These are a very very pretty cookie and yummy! I gave Jon half of them in a tupperware container on his desk. Im going to send the other half to my little sister and her kids.

so did the oil work for this or did you find the extract? if you used the oil, was the
1/4 to 1 ratio pretty close?

That does sound good! and pretty!

Nan

Essential Oil

Hi...
While browsing on the internet i have found a site of essential oil.
I have seen Essential Oil spe******t suppliers in online at essentialoilsonline(dot)co(dot)uk.They are members of the Aromatherapy Trade Council.

29opksy.jpg

I used the 1/4 to 1 ratio. It worked great.

reply to Essential Oil,

we have several links above with information about using peppermint oil in place of extract.
You have to be careful as many sold as essential oil are labeled "not for food uses"

Nan

Last edited:
Not a very good pic but I thought it would give you the idea. Im sure the neighbors appreciated my beating candy into dust at 8am this morning lol.

Not a very good pic but I thought it would give you the idea. Im sure the neighbors appreciated my beating candy into dust at 8am this morning lol.

:DHee-Hee:D Good neighbor Janie!!!

P.S. Send me some of that Biscotti!!! I LOVE BISCOTTI DID I EVER TELL YOU THAT BEFORE???? Well now you know!!!!

OUTSTANDING~ I love biscotti too~ can't get enough of it ~ never made it but want to~ WOW JANIE~ FANTASTIC~ If you are sending some to Cathy ~ I want some too :)

I sent a tray of cookies with the biscotti and some peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on it to my nieces this evening. They liked both but the peanut butter chocolate chip was their favorite. The appreciated the biscotti when they got a glass of milk to dunk them in lol. It was so cute to hear a two year old exclaim wow yummy when she tries the first cookie you sent.

Back