Nov 9  # 1 of 20
My brother in law got a 8 point buck this morning when they went hunting.
He is bringing me a roast and a tenderloin. HELP me cause I have no idea how to cook deer lol.
Nov 9  # 2 of 20
I have been cooking lots of venison. Every year my brother in law brings one home for me. It's pretty easy to cook just don't over cook it. You cook venison like any other extremely lean meat. It's great in any kind of stew. If you grind it you can make wonderful burgers. My husband also loves venison fajitas.

Here is a wonderful recipe from Mario Batali that we have enjoyed. Also you may want to try using it in his bolognese recipe. It's fabulous.

Venison Goulash: Gulgas di Capriolo

Ingredients
4 pounds venison shoulder
1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 Spanish onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 sprig fresh thyme
6 sage leaves
6 cloves garlic
6 peppercorns
6 juniper berries
1 bottle dry red wine
1/4 cup lard
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces speck, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 cloves
1 cup sour cream
2 tablspoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
Grated Montasio, for garnish
Directions
Trim the venison of any connective tissue, and cut it into 2 by 1-inch cubes. In a 6-quart pot, combine the carrot, celery, onions, rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, peppercorns, juniper berries, and red wine and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, allow the marinade to cool, and submerge the venison pieces. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry with towels, reserving marinade. In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat the lard until smoking. Season the venison with salt and pepper and place 4 to 5 pieces at a time in the pan. Sear until deep golden brown all over, then remove to a plate. Repeat the process until all the meat is done. Add the flour and speck to the pan and bring to boil. Add the cinnamon, cloves, remaining marinade and meat, including juices exuded onto the plate, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook slowly for 1 1/4 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream, sprinkle with parsley, check for seasoning, and serve immediately.
Nov 9  # 3 of 20
Peppered Venison Steak

2 pounds venison - (to 3 lbs) (or as much as you like)
1 large onion
1 large bell pepper
2 cans mushroom soup
2 cans water
Salt -- to taste

Brown venison in small amount of shortening. Saute onion and pepper in drippings. Add enough flour to drippings to make a brown gravy. Use soup in the gravy instead of water. Pour the browned venison, pepper and onion, mushroom gravy, 2 cans of water and salt into a slow cooker. Cook in crock pot all day on LOW, or put it on at night and cook overnight.
Nov 9  # 4 of 20
VENISON DAUBE WITH CUMIN AND CORIANDER

4 bacon slices, chopped 1 2 1/4- to 2 1/2-pound venison roast (bottom end of loin, or New York strip) or beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 325°F. Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until fat has rendered and bacon is crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Reserve pot with drippings.

Sprinkle venison with salt and pepper. Dust with flour; toss to coat. Working in 3 batches, cook venison in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until browned, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer venison to bowl. Add oil, onion, and garlic to pot. Sauté over medium heat until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Return venison with any accumulated juices to pot. Add coriander, cumin, and pepper. Stir 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to simmer. Cover and transfer to oven. Braise venison 45 minutes.

Remove pot from oven; add wine, return to oven, and cook uncovered until sauce thickens slightly, about 40 minutes. (Daube can be made 2 days ahead. Refrigerate bacon. Cool daube slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm daube over medium-low heat before continuing.)

Transfer daube to bowl; sprinkle with cilantro and reserved bacon.
Nov 9  # 5 of 20
Venison Stew

Cubes of venison stew meat are browned with onions and garlic and combined with Worcestershire sauce, oregano and covered with water in this stew with chunks of carrots and potatoes.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds venison stew meat
3 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups water
7 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water

1. In a skillet, deeply brown the meat in oil. Add onions, garlic. Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and water. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.

2. Add potatoes and carrots; cook until tender.

3. Combine flour and water. Stir into the stew. Remove bay leaf before serving.