What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vinegar

jglass

I know that Cathy and I both love vinegar. I keep red wine, white wine, balsamic, red wine with garlic, malt, apple cider and plain white vinegar in the pantry. I love different types for different applications. Red wine is my favorite for making vinaigrette. Around here champagne vinegar is so expensive I have yet to try it.
Anyone else like vinegar? What are you favs?

I do, janie! I keep white distilled which I use as much for cleaning as I do for cooking.

Like you, I like red wine or raspberry for vinaigrettes- and I prefer cider for most all else. I do keep balsamic but I rarely use it, and only time I've kept champagne at home was when I worked places that stocked it and I was able to smuggle a bottle home now and then!

I also love vinegar. I have a whole shelf in my kitchen with nothing but vinegars. I make all my own salad dressing so I need to have a lot of vinegars on hand. I have all the ones that you listed plus umbe plum, rice wine, sherry, tarragon, black rice and late harvest riesling vinegars. In addition to the normal balsamic I also have a teeny bottle of the really good stuff that I keep for finishing. It's as thick as honey.

I forgot about rice wine vinegar. I have that one to but I keep it with my asian spices.
At Krogers sherry vinegar was like $10 a bottle I think and the champange was around $15. I had some coupons my mother in law gave me for $1 off a bottle of the Star brand red wine garlic and $1 off the balsamic. I usually just get what ever kind I find at Walmart.
Have you guys ever tried white vinegar and baking powder to clean out a clogged drain? It works great and it much cheaper than Drano.
Jon hates the smell of vinegar worse than anything lol.

He frowns when ever he smells vinegar and says your eating salad again lol.
One of his buddies is way over six feet tall and about 300+ pounds and he loathes the smell of vinegar. You could chase him out of his house with a pickle lol.

I have been known to say, I can clean the world with vinegar and baking soda.
that mix works very good on glass coffee carafes.
I use vinegar to clean windows.
use baking soda like scouring porder on things you don't want to scratch. will take up crayon marks, all sorts of stains. great for cleaning a dry erase board.
and soda is also great for brushing your teeth.

I love vinegar and its benefits. I clean with it, I rinse my hair with it, cook with it, can goods with it, and I drink it.

I did find that Hornets/Wasps love the stuff too so don't squirt it at them. Ants and most others insects hate it.

Have you guys ever tried white vinegar and baking powder to clean out a clogged drain? It works great and it much cheaper than Drano.
Jon hates the smell of vinegar worse than anything lol.

I always use white vinegar and baking soda to clean my drains. It works like nothing else.

I love vinegar and its benefits. I clean with it, I rinse my hair with it, cook with it, can goods with it, and I drink it.
I did find that Hornets/Wasps love the stuff too so don't squirt it at them. Ants and most others insects hate it.

I have a question CanMan if you don't mind maybe you can help me: I have heard of people drinking vinegar (my own Grandma was one) and I hear of people who drink it to keep their weight down, is there any reason to drink it that is scientifically proven and does it contain lots of sodium?

When I read about the insects :DThis information made me laugh! You never know what those insects will enjoy! I could envision wasps haveing a hoedown when sprayed with vinegar! Did you try it in your garden to ward off bad insects?

I will gladly try it in my garden next year as long as I don't kill my plants!

I usually put a Tablespoon or so in my 18-20 oz bottle that I fill with Brita filtered tap water several times during the day, usually Apple Cider Vinegar but occasionally White Wine vinegar that I get in bulk from my store. I've been doing it so long that I prefer the tart flavor more than the sweet stuff that is marketed.

I do warn people it is an acid and it is an acquired taste. If you swallow wrong it WILL lock up your breathing and put you in dire straights for a few minutes (How long can you hold your breath while your eyes are bulging out?). I do that once in awhile and it is not pleasant.

If you are interested, start out with a large glass of water and a small teaspoon of AC vinegar and take it in small sips. Anything further is up to you.

It's supposed to help one's body metabolism (weight loss), but I haven't witnessed it, but I also don't take it at the levels they suggest. Most of the benefits and uses of vinegar have all be scientifically evaluated and proven to be true, but for health benefits its like taking a multi-vitamin, it may help the body but it is not a cure all.

There's no sodium in vinegar, just acetic acid with fermented flavoring. In fact, distilled white vinegar is almost pure acetic acid and doesn't really fall in to the category of a true "vinegar".

Vinegar makes a good weed killer so be careful using it around your plants. There are thousands of uses and books written on the subject.

The Vinegar Institute - Recipes

Back