What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memorial Day Plans

K

KYHeirloomer

Memorial Day weekend will be upon us before y'all can turn around. It is, of course, the traditional first picnicking weekend of the year for many people.

So, does anyone have plans yet?

Are we supposed to be making plans? The actions of my state and federal government have made that decision for me I think.

I would like to go canoeing but I have a feeling DH will say we need to work on the house. He has been digging in the basement trying to fix the drainage problem. He's almost done so I'm sure he will want to finish it. The problem with doing these things yourself is you pretty much only can work on it two days a week when you are off.

I guess I'll be puttering in the garden. We planted most of our vegetables and herbs yesterday after the frost warning was over. It's not supposed to frost again here according to the weather channel. I still need to get a few more herbs though and my peppers weren't quite big enough to plant yet. Hopefully they will be next weekend.

We usually get drafted by Jon's Dad to go with him and his brother and sisters to visit family graves and leave flowers.
I hope it didnt frost last night. I have a lot of herbs at my FIL that are about an inch tall.

Are we supposed to be making plans? The actions of my state and federal government have made that decision for me I think.

Hi CanMan!

Can you please elaborate on this? Do you mean the high price of gas (AGAIN) or something else?

I actually plan to stay home and BBQ and have a few neighbors over:) I was lazy this past Sunday (I am never lazy) and it felt so darned good that when my hubby asked me what I wanted to do for Memorial Day weekend I said "Not a damned thing!" He looked shocked and then said "OK" and smiled...he probably thought I was joking! Later I told him I would like to grill out and have some neighbors over! My newest best friend neighbor is a beautiful hispanic lady, she does not speak english, I don't speak much spanish and we have hit it off and get along great. Sometimes we just sit and sip a glass of wine and talk to each other and sort-a kind-a understand one another and we get along so good! Thank goodness for my hubby and her daughter who can help interpret every now & then! We both love to cook, and we talk alot about food!;) So I want to have her & her hubby over!

Gas at $2.49 or thereabouts I do not consider to be HIGH, considering what it has been in the past and could very easily go back to and probably will at some point down the line. I'm disappointed at the price, but that's about all.

I'm not sure I can elaborate on what my state and your federal government have been doing since it would only raise my blood pressure and right now I don't want to do that since my *free* health clinic where I get my monthly medication just demanded $60 to see the doctor -- changes ordered by the politicians to raise money. I said a few choice words since I don't carry that kind of cash on me, especially when they provide no warning, and walked out....without any medication.

Today was also to vote on six state measures to collect Billions and Billions of dollars more out of the already stricken and out of work public, just so they could remain fat and happy, which Joe public seems to be rejecting entirely. The politicians are threatening to remove all police and fire support if that occurs in an effort to scare the people so they will vote in favor of the issues. It ain't working. And apparently this same scenario is being played out everywhere. Bad times and its not caused by the people, though the people are the scapegoats for all the ills.

And you know things are really bad when individual states in our Union must formally and officially (re)declare their sovereignty as a State.

As for Memorial Day, I stay mostly in seclusion and give private honor and remembrance to those fallen in present and past wars that I was fortunate enough to survive from. I used to enjoy honoring the day in public, but nowadays most have forgotten or don't care about the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people don't even know or remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. Last time I went to the polling place they had the flag displayed backwards. This year no flag at all.

Inspite of all this I am actually quite happy. I just can't find a reason to go out in to the cesspool we all are living in and with everything else going on right now and be made unhappy. ;)

My family typically does the cemetery thang and then a cook-out, but I'm working a double-shift this year on the Monday that I am normally off. But, that's not all-bad, especially since gas here hit $2.59 tonight! So, the OT on my paycheck will come in handy...

I'm a home-body too- always have been. I like to call it "nesting". I prefer to make my home as cozy and comfy as my budget will allow, and then stay in it. For instance, I'd much rather cook for friends than go out. Would much rather rent DVD's to watch on my own sofa than go spend eleven bucks at a crowded cinema.

Had my buds over for a T-Bone supper last night, then we sipped brewskies out on the patio as the sun went down. I played some soft music and we chatted and enjoyed oursleves. I much prefer that over trying to accomplish the same at a bar or a loud steak-house.

I'm a home-body too- always have been. I like to call it "nesting". I prefer to make my home as cozy and comfy as my budget will allow, and then stay in it. For instance, I'd much rather cook for friends than go out. Would much rather rent DVD's to watch on my own sofa than go spend eleven bucks at a crowded cinema.

Had my buds over for a T-Bone supper last night, then we sipped brewskies out on the patio as the sun went down. I played some soft music and we chatted and enjoyed oursleves. I much prefer that over trying to accomplish the same at a bar or a loud steak-house.

I believe when we love being home that is a good thing! You know I fixed up our guest bedroom like something out of a posh B&B...I love it!!!!

Memory Day noise has been going since yesterday evening. Stupid rednecks and their motorcycles. I wish there were a noise ordinance in this town. Some of those things are so loud they rattle the walls. The parade was today at 1pm. We have had three or four bad wrecks in town this weekend. One right up the road from where we live. A 19 year old lost his life at the lake last night. They were cliff jumping which is illegal there.

Jon and I came back from his Dad's Friday evening and I stopped to get a few things from the store. They had like 2 packs of hotdog buns left on the shelf. Gonna be a lot of hotdogs and hambugers going this weekend I guess. I saw people were gathered on mainstreet. There were a couple of bands playing music and several concession stands.
We have no plans to get out at all this weekend. It is to noisy and crowded out there. I just look forward to Mon when the traffic will be cleared out. One of the drawbacks to living in town I guess.
We will be home where it is cool, comfortable and a little less loud lol.

It seems quiter here, janie. Not much trouble so far. And that's not typical- it seems Memorial Day usually is louder and more hectic every year, so not sure why it's different this year- so far, anyway!

Back