What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fondue?

jglass

I was thinking of buying myself a fondue pot for my birthday.
Walmart has an electric one for $29.00 that I am considering. I have never had or made fondue so I was wondering if the rest of you make it very often?
It would be cute to make chocolate fondue for my nieces to have after they trick or treat. I want to make sure they have the complete sugar high before they go home lol. I could use one when we have Christmas dinner.

Fall is the perfect time to Fondue, cut up small cube pieces of apple, pears, strawberry's, pound cake etc and dip into chocolate! I Love fondue!!! :p
Go buy a electric fondue pot you will Love it! Cookie :)

Last edited:
there is a lot you can do with a fondu pot! a nice butterscotch fondue goes well with fruits, some recipes call for the cheese and condensed soups, some recipes call for more of a white sauce-type recipe in place of cheeses, some "deep fry" with ther fondue, some sauces for different meats or seafood can be made using chili sauce and mayo with herbs and broth, cheese and crab is good, pizza fondue, geez - anything goes - and of course - the chocollate!

that's a nice one - and I do think you will get plenty of use out of it! many feel that fondue means "cheese" only - but that's not true

Thanks Mama. I will be going to Walmart this Saturday and I am going to pick up one then. Hope they have one in stock.

The only thing that concerns me is using it for the holiday dinners. There are alot of kids there and Im not sure how good they will be about no double dipping. I have seen them before swiping their fingers in cake frosting. I bought a cake carrier that I keep the cake in til after dinner to disuade them from that habit. A pot of chocolate fondue may be more temptation that they can stand lol.

I am kinda ocd about that sort of thing when it comes to food. I don't double dip when I cook for just Jon and I or for a crowd. I made baked mac and cheese the other day and grated some skin off of my finger. I threw away the little piece of cheese I was grating and stopped to clean my board and grater. I bandaged my finger and then finished my dish.

Chocolate Fondue Recipe:

Fondue-just chocolate:

2/3 cup KARO Light or Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 Cup heavy cream
8 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet-chocolate
Assorted fresh fruit

You can make this a day ahead. Sore in refrigerator. Reheat before serving.

Dippers: candied pineapple, dried apricots, waffle squares, ladyfingers, macaroons, pretzels, croissants, mint cookies, or peanut butter cookies.

Note: you can even do this one in the microwave in a medium bowl combine
corn syrup & cream. Micro.- on High 100% 1 1/2 min. or until boil. Add chocolate stir until done. Serve warm Makes: 1 1/2 cups

Enjoy, Cookie :)

The Walmart I go to did not have one in stock today.
She said to check back closer to Christmas.

You can also pick up a stainless steel fondue pot that uses sterno from Crate & Barrel for $25.

I understand your wanting an electric one, but I love my Sterno Burning Fondue Pot! Kind of romantic even though it only has a small flame!, but I guess I'm just a pyromaniac at heart:D

Heck when I had gas burning stoves I always loved roasting marshmallows over the flames to make smores!

Living with a blind person I try and stay away from open flames.
Plus if I use it for the holidays there will be lots of kids running about.

Living with a blind person I try and stay away from open flames.
Plus if I use it for the holidays there will be lots of kids running about.

Yeah that is what I figured! It is romantic either way, there is something kind of intimate about making fondue and sharing it with your loved one!

I've never made Fondue - eaten it, but not made it. I usually melt chocolate and dip fruit, etc. in it, but then let it set.

I finally ordered myself a fondue pot yesterday.
I am looking forward to trying all of the nice recipes for fondue that have been posted.

Back