What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Boar

Keziah

I have never tried Wild Boar. I am hoping to try it this year as I have found a UK supplier on the net.

I like to have a different meat for Christmas, as well as the free range turkey crown which is the obligitory fare.

It is quite expensive over here, at £29.00 or about $48.00 a kilo.

Anyone tried it on here? Any tips for cooking it. Any tips for which is the best cut for flavour.

I was thinking of cooking it slow roasted with rosemary and apple.

Any tips would be appreciated. No garlic recipes would be great.

Cheers.

The only wild boar I ever heard of is Smoked & Bar-B-Que and from what I have heard it is good. I know a place down in South Florida that has a Wild Boar Jamboree every year. They serve BBQ wild boar and many people attend! If I have ever had it I am not sure. Keziah, I sure would not spend and astronomical amount of money on it like you are mentioning! Because after all it is just a wild pig, and I would go to the store and buy my pork meat at a much cheaper price and enjoy it just the same. I'd smoke it or BBQ it and get very near the same results. That is just my personal opinion.

To market to market to fetch a fat pig home again home again jiggity jig:D

Cathy

We've had wild boar BBQ's up here - everyone likes it -

but truthfully - I went to school with Wild Bore - he should have been committed! (that's what everyone called him - he was s-t-r-a-n-g-e)

but truthfully - I went to school with Wild Bore - he should have been committed! (that's what everyone called him - he was s-t-r-a-n-g-e)

Hey Mama was WILD "BORE" the teacher or a student???:D I has some wild azz "Bores" in my school days also!! Hee-hee

On a more serious note: I always loved my Science teachers they made Science so interesting- I devoured my studies in Science class thanks to great teachers!!! Math- FORGET IT BORING AZZ SUBJECT- Thanks mostly to Boring Azz teachers! A good teacher can make anythjing fun!:) I do not mean to hurt any math teachers feelings here but it was true for me!

Cook Chatty Cathy

I know it may seem expensive but I paid £58.00 nearly $96.00 for a 4 kilo goose last Christmas.

In this country to get a good quality, free range, tradionally fed animal we litterally have to pay through the nose.

In our supermarkets most of the meat is factory farmed and there is the difference. It is tasteless, do you know that in tasting our meat you cannot tell the difference between chicken and pork, the only way it tastes different is the stuffings and dressing we put with the meat.

I know this is embaressing for me to admit but most british meat is pants.:(

The turkey crown we have been getting for the last couple of years in free range farmed just up the hill from me, we can go and pick our turkey. This farm has started breeding Welsh Blacks early last year so hopefully there will be some decent beef to be had in our area in the near future.

Wow Keziah that is sad! My gosh that the two very different meats would taste alike is deplorable! I feel sorry for you, and am saddened by that. I certainly can understand why you would sacrifice and buy the more exspensive product!

If that were the case here where I live I would have to grow my own meat. I'd have to have a pig pen, a chicken coup, and a few sheep out back in the yard! I love my meat and I want the taste to be right! It would be worth the extra work! Especially pork and chicken they are two of my favorites!!!

I would love to have a few chickens, a sow maybe, and a nanny, goats milk yum,:)
but I don't think my neighbours would appreciate it.

When I was a child nearly everyone kept chickens, mention chickens now and they all start screaming they attract rats, mind you that doesn't seem to apply to all the racing pigeon breaders that are in the area. People are so blinkered.

Hey Cathy - I'm a bore! I loved accounting! Had a 4.0 in accounting - no one ever got it - but I sure did! Me bore........LOL

Hey Cathy - I'm a bore! I loved accounting! Had a 4.0 in accounting - no one ever got it - but I sure did! Me bore........LOL

MamaM you ain't neither;)

Why I think you're just A OK and there's no doubt about it!!!:)

By the way smartie pants how can anyone like accounting:confused: E-w-w-w I just made F's in Algebra! LOL

We started with about 30 in the class - within one month - 17 were left - the teacher could not connect with anyone - just me - so she made me teach the class. LOL -
The following semester I taught the class and the semester after that I taught it at a boys private high school.

I absolutely love it - and - I had several come to me that kept failing it - but needed it to graduate - gues what - they all passed with flying colors.

Guess I had the knack.

But I do love math - I wanna go back and study more math - algebra by the way.

LOL - someone has to like math......

Just as long as it's not me! Hee-hee

By the way I mailed off recently for my High School transcript, it made me laugh 2 A's, 2 B's & 2 C's end of the year!

Guess what the A's were in? Home Economics and a class called Family Living!!! My B's were in Am. Government and Phys. Ed and lastly my C's were in English 12 and Spanish II. Golly I wonder where my priorities were!!!LOL

I think I have found a site/farm where I can get wild boar at a more reasonable price. I have emailed them so fingers crossed. I might be able to surprise the family with something different yet again on the Christmas table.

When I finished school, I had a A’ level law, A' level English and an A' level pre and post reformation history. So with all that information under my belt I became a Nurse. :D Well there we are.:)

So, if any patients wanted a legal letter written in classy olde world style english f's instead of s's style letter, I'd be their man (figuratively speaking), not much good when to them when holding their partially severed leg, as the rest of them are going though the CT scanner though, and my shoes were filling up with their blood. :(

Wow you were really smart Keziah!!! I am sure there were many who were blessed by you becoming a nurse. I just admire the medical professionals, I never had the stomache for it, but Thank God there were those so blessed to be there for people in times of crisis and illness!

If I was smart, I'd have become a solicitor (lawyer). :(

Instead I did the other, and was paid a pittance for it. In Wales I would call myself twp. (stupid)

My wild boar arrived yesterday morning. It looks very lean. There will be no waste. It looks better value than the goose I had last year. Obviously it will have to live in the freezer until Christmas.

I think it will be simply slow roasted with blackberries and bramley apple.

I have not seen a recipe, but blackberry and apples are part of the diet of the wild boar, or would be if we still had them running wild in Wales, so it a fair assumption that it will be tasty.

Back