What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fond memories

ricksrealpitbbq

Funny how when you're young you can't appreciate the good times.
I'm Italian and grew up in a very traditional Italian household which meant every Sunday we had dinner at Grandma's and Granpa's house. All the aunts and uncles as well as all the cousins were there without fail. There was never an acceptable excuse to miss Sunday's meal. Every Sunday morning my dad and I would go to grandma's for breakfast. As soon as we went through the outdoor door to her first floor kitchen door, we were hit with the smell of maxwell house coffee, (the Medaglia D'Oro was only used for special occasions) Opening the door released the fragrant aroma of meatballs and braciola being fried up in the biggest pan I've ever seen. As was the normal custom, Grandma would save a few meatballs from going in the gravy just for my breakfast. Fresh bread from the oven, some melted butter and those meatballs made the best breakfast I've ever had. I still to this day insist that my wife always put a few meatballs aside for me, so I can relive those happy moments. After breakfast I had to help Grandpa in the garden if it was summer, or in the wine cellar in the fall and winter. After a few hours we'd go home to make sure mom and my sister were awake. And then we'd get ready for lunch time back at Grandma's house. There was always a homemade chicken soup w/ more tiny meatballs of course, a macaroni course and the roasted chicken with potatoes. Every so often we'd have homemade ravioli that I defy anyone to eat more than 6 without being stuffed. Nobody ever left hungry. And then we'd have some sort of pastries for desert. Being that I walked home from school right past Grandma's meant I got to stop in on a regular basis for afternoon snacks too :D

Just thought I'd share some fond memories:)

Thank you for sharing! It was like that with my family - except everyone came to our house - including gram and gramps.

We baked and cooked for an army - a hungry army.

I've always felt lucky to be Italian because of all the good cooking and baking.

Last edited:
Mama since you are Italian maybe you can help me out. I'm trying to remember the name of a dish my grandmother used to make. It was made with the yellow flowers from the zucchini plants. I remember they were dipped in egg and fried, but that's all I remember. :confused:

fried zucchini flowers, or fried squash flowers, etc.

make a batter from flour, baking powder, salt, egg, salt, pepper and egg - dip and fry till golden - about 3 minutes per side in hot oil

some added cornmeal or used beer

and did you ever have them stuffed with ricotta cheese filling?

sometimes they were stuffed with the cheese and maybe they would add some chopped mushrooms

Fiori di Zucca or Zucchina - now do you remember?

you made me think for sure - I don't get to use my Italian much these days - besides - everything in this country has to be written and orally spoken in Spanish!

If they are going to put instructions/ingredients on products in Spanish - I think they should also have them printed on the label in Italian, German, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Bulgarian, Slavic, Swedish, Gaelic, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Indonesian, etc, etc, etc. Just to be fair to everyone.

One of these days I am going to write a letter to one of these big companies and ask them to add Italian - should be interesting in what they say.

pfffffffffffttttttttttttttttt.................

would it be proper to say - cut off all your fingers and then count (zero) ????

I don't have many fond memories of when I was a kid. I do remember my Moms Mother making her apple butter stack cake that was heaven on a plate. The longer it sat the better it got. Isnt it wonderful how a smell can bring back wonderful memories based around food. It is one of the reasons I love to cook for my friends and family today.

Ok I'm going to be blunt here, and I apologize if I offend anyone it's not my intent.

Life can really suck sometimes. People can let us down, we get hurt, things aren't always fair in fact sometimes it seams like the deck can be stacked against us. But there is one thing in life that is good and that is having a nice meal. Our taste buds can bring a smile to our face, it can remind us of things long forgotten. Smells and aromas can make us forget all the nonsense life can dish out at times. Having friends and family to share this with is like icing on the cake. Seeing your friends and family enjoy something you created whether simple or complex is very rewarding. I don't need fancy food, but I do require food that has been prepared properly. Nothing turns me off more than a meal thrown together with no thought or care. Also on that list is undercooked, or overcooked and even burnt food. With a little practice and thought anyone is capable of turning out an enjoyable meal. A good dose of love for those you prepare food for goes a long way.

I also have an analogy for cooking that I like to use. Cooking in many ways is like making love. You can rush into a quickey and it's over before you know it and it's not very satisfying. But when you take the time to properly prepare a meal, the aromas are like foreplay, it's enticing and makes you want more. It's exciting and you just know it will be worth it in the end. A fine meal is just an ultimate way to express love for others and even youself to an extent.

Well that's my philosophy :eek:

and a very good one it is -

I don't believe in "thrown together" meals - yes there are times you need to make something quick - but if it is done with care and love it is exceptional. You don't have to slave all day to make a good meal. Us old timers did the slaving for years - and we still do - maybe it makes us feel like we are accomplishing something - who knows. Yes - I can make a quick meal - but it is a good meal.

I could never serve someone something that I myself would not want. Would you want to eat it if it were made improperly? and not only do we want good taste - but it has to look appealing.

Another "thing" I have is what I am eating off. Regardless of what I am serving I put out all the silverware and set the table properly. Even for snacking - I want to serve in pretty dishes (even if I use plastic holiday dishes, etc.). I am not into eating off plastic - but I do have some melamine dishware that with holiday scenes that I use for snacking or serving - it's the cheapie plastic I cannot stand.

And my table has to be clean at all times. Not only do I not want to eat off a table with a purse on it, or mail, or dirty dishes, etc. - I would never expect anyone else to.

Even for quick meals - I don't fire up the stove full blast to cook it quick. It takes away from the flavors.

Oh yeah, plastic is a no no. I drink out of a glass and eat off real plates. Mind you it's not fine china and crystal, but it sure isn't disposable junk.

Great read...

mama- also loved cat ching-up at your blog site! Loved the recent posts- especially the one on your "ORIGINAL DON CORLEONE KILLER SANDWICH"!!! :)

Back