Jan 3  # 1 of 3
I made a chess pie and it didn't turn out like I wanted. I followed the recipe exactly as I'd never made the recipe before. It tastes ok if a little sweet but after all, that is chess pie. The undercrust was soggy and I don't think the filling set well. I cooked it for the recommended time and even added some time since I had to open the oven to put foil around the edges. Started at 400* then reduced to 325* x45" more. This recipe called for heavy cream which I didn't see the point of but I put it in anyway as I wanted to follow the recipe to the letter. It also called for 5 eggs. So......what went wrong here?
Jan 3  # 2 of 3
from my notes -

If your pastry is pale in color - it may have been baked in a shiny pan or it is underbaked.

If your pastry looks smooth - it was handled too much.

If your bottom crust is soggy - it may have been baked in a shiny pan or your oven temperature was too low.

If our pastry is tough - too much water, too much flour or the pastry was mixed and handled too much.

If your pastry is too tender and falls apart - too little water or too much shortening.

If your pastry is dry and mealy, not flaky - your shortening was cut too finely or too little water.

I tell everyone to invest in an oven thermometer to make sure they are baking at the proper temperatures - it is so important - ovens need to be calibrated from time to time and that is the only way you will find out
Jan 4  # 3 of 3
Thank you, Mama.....I guess the temp was too low. The pan isn't shiny. I used a pan that I inherited from my over 90 yr old aunt. It is one of those old old (probably > 60-70 yrs) dull gun-metal colored 'tins'. I'm sure it's not tin but if it's aluminum, it was made from a now unused process. Come to think of it, what were these things made of? steel? Anyone have any idea?

Well, I kinda got off of main topic here but, anyway, the pie wasn't a total disaster. Just wasn't perfect and I'm a perfectionist.

Happy New Year to everyone!!! Tomorrow is "Twelfth Night" so that means the end of the holiday season. Thank goodness.