May 2  # 1 of 5
I've driven by an Aldi store for a year or so and finally stopped in one. They're a little different from other grocers in that you leave a quarter deposit when you get a shopping cart so you bring it back. This saves them labor costs. Plus they don't accept credit cards. Cash or debit only.

But in return you get really low prices. I went in with only $5.00 in my pocket and came out with:
a pineapple
4 tomatoes
a head of lettuce
2 cucumbers
May 10  # 2 of 5
Aldi's is great. I shop at one at least once monthly. You box/bag your own, the stores are no-firlls, but part of the low price benefit is their low over-head. Not all products are ones I'd buy again- but there are many gems- and diamonds in the rough. Holiday time is especially nice- you never know what they're gonna carry- but there are always fantastic surprises and perfect gift items. It's worth mentioning that Aldi's is the high end luxury grocery-store chain in Germany. Tells you how lucky we got it here! Great store.
May 14  # 3 of 5
Yeah, Aldi does have a couple tricks to save them labor or other costs that help keep their prices down. The quarter to get a cart and then when you return it you get it back saves them in payroll. Lots of stores have those cart corrals but they need someone constantly going out to the corral and bringing the carts inside. Their not accepting credit cards saves them 2 - 3 % too.

Last time I was there I noticed the pork and beef cuts were labeled as containing 12% brine. Anyone know if this something Aldi does to tell us what I've always thought all along i.e. that the $3.99/lb beef had 10% water in it so it's really $4.39lb? I didn't buy any meat there because of this but later though that I always notice lots of water coming out of the meat as I cook it and every grocer probably does it yet doesn't tell us.

Matt
May 14  # 4 of 5
Well Matt -

Many of the supermarkets have their meats injected - adds weight. And most of them do not label it either. that is the sad part. I don't buy meats that are brined and I prefer to shop for meats in a market here I can see them cutting the meats.

One big chain here gets all their meats pre-wrapped, weighed, etc. and they come in frozen. That should not be allowed but people still buy it.
May 15  # 5 of 5
I like Aldi's, I buy my soups from there, chicken noodle soup, Italian wedding soup, lentle soup. I also like there chili and corned beef hash, rice products, beans, egg-rolls, chips, olives... I bring $20.00 and I stock up Love it!! Cookie :)