Jun 22  # 1 of 4
I am already gettting more basil, thyme and sage than I can use. So its time to start drying.
Last year I dried the leaves and put them into ziploc freezer bags and stored them in the freezer. Some I dried and kept in jars in the cabinet if I planned to use them soon. I experimented with some Thai basil, lemon, hot and white basil. I like the taste of genovese basil and sweet basil the best so that is all I put out this year.

I found the leaves to kinda be a pain when frozen whole. Of course I took them off of the stems first. They were crumbly when they came out of the freezer but I had to use my electric coffee grinder to get the basil as fine as I wanted it.

How do those of you who dry your own herbs store them? Would you grind them the way you want to use them before freezing or after?
Jun 23  # 2 of 4
I recommend after drying them, and before freezing them that you should grind them fine at that point. It will be easier for you to use them straight from the freezer that way.
Jun 23  # 3 of 4
I grow herbs and I dry most of them. Some I place in the freezer - without crushing or grinding them first. I don't take the leaves off the stems. They are easy enough to cut frozen.
Jun 23  # 4 of 4
I think I will dry these ..then grind them right before storing them.
I have some dill, basil, thyme and sage in the dehydrator right now.