Mar 21  # 1 of 6
Hi!!! Does anyone have any new or old ideas on the old favourite dessert,
"Bombe Alaska", I want to make one for Easter lunch, But I need some new ideas, new or old recipes, I dont care, just a few different ideas to give me something to work with, I know they are made with Sponge Cake,Icecream and Meringue, then baked, But I love mine with Fruit with the Icecream, "Does anyone have any great Ideas", Thanks for any Help.:)
Mar 21  # 2 of 6
I saw a variation, recently (Paula Dean, I think) that used ice cream in the middle, then two different layers of sorbet (orange and raspberry?).

That would give you your fruitiness, and would be a little different.
Mar 21  # 3 of 6
Spiritwolf -

Nothing is etched in stone with these recipes - and forgive me if I get long-winded.

There is Baked Alaska and Bombe Alaska - the difference - Bombe Alaska is ignited for a fabulous presentation.

These can be made in any size - using a variety of tins. You can make them in individual serving sizes if you want.

They can be made quickly using store bought or frozen/thawed pound cake, sponge cake in any flavor (chocolate, etc.) etc.

You can place a layer of fruits, berries or jam in between - just about anything you want to do.

Here's a few recipes - you can take a look at them - and I've got plenty more if you need them:

Bombe Alaska

1 plain sponge cake (homemade or bought)
2 tablespoons Marsala (or your favorite liqueur)
2 tubs gourmet ice-cream (Buy different flavors)
3 egg whites (keep half of an empty eggshell for use later)
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 tablespoons brandy to ignite

The frozen part of this dessert can be prepared ahead of time, leaving only the meringue layer to be completed before serving. Allow about 10 minutes to organize the sponge base and ice-cream layers prior to freezing. Before serving your dessert, allow around 10-15 minutes to complete the meringue, create the final look of your bombe Alaska and cook.

Place the sponge cake onto a plate. Cut the sponge into a round shape by using the lid of the ice-cream tub as a template, brush away the crumbs and drizzle Marsala over the cake disc. This will form the base of the bombe Alaska.

Most people would just use one tub of ice-cream but Geoff uses two flavours to create a superb effect. Dip the ice-cream tubs into warm water for about 10 seconds then turn them out onto a plate. Both tubs of ice-cream should slide out quite easily. Cut the ice-cream into discs.

Put the first disc onto the sponge then layer the ice-cream, alternating the flavours, until the bombe is as tall as you like but you must allow at least 5 or 6cm (about 2-2.5") spare so it will fit comfortably into the oven. Also take into consideration that it has to fit upright into your freezer.

Press together firmly and put into the freezer immediately for at least 20 minutes or until it is rock-hard. As soon as the ice-cream goes into the freezer (or 20 minutes prior to your estimated time of cooking), turn the oven to very hot, 425-450 F.

Just before you remove the ice-cream from the freezer start making the meringue. Place the three egg whites, (don't forget to keep half an eggshell), into a clean mixing bowl and whisk until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the caster sugar into the bowl continuing to mix well until the sugar is dissolved.

With a hard, flat spatula, smear the meringue very quickly to completely cover the ice-cream and sponge. Leave enough meringue to mound on the top for presentation. Place in the very hot oven straight away and cook for only 3 - 5 minutes or until the meringue has lightly browned - so keep a close eye on it.

Some people just pop sparklers in the top to serve. The following 'flaming' special effect is spectacular. Poke half an eggshell that has been washed and dried into the top of the bombe. Be careful that the shell does not crack as it will be the reservoir for the brandy.

Heat a small saucepan and pour 3 tablespoons of brandy into the hot saucepan. Remove from the heat as the warmth from the hot saucepan will be enough to heat the brandy. Set a flame to the alcohol and as it burns tip it into the eggshell and the flaming brandy will spill over the entire bombe. The result is spectacular! Serve straight away and cut with a knife dipped in hot water.

When cutting the discs of ice-cream use a big knife that has been dipped into hot water and cut quickly. This will slice the ice-cream easily and evenly.

Take the height of your freezer and oven into consideration before stacking the ice-cream layers.

Remember safety in the kitchen because you are working with flames and it is important to take care.

For a breathtaking effect serve with the lights dimmed!

Triple Berry Bombe Alaska

into the freezer overnight.1 large chocolate swiss roll
3 types of berries (Raspberry, blueberry, strawberry) - I bet mango would be excellent too!
1/2 tub Sara Lee Strawberry cheesecake Ice cream
1/2 cup homemade mixed berry jam
4 egg whites + 1/3 cup sugar
100ml brandy/rum (Min 40% alcohol)

A day in advance, layer the inside of a deep bowl with clingwrap, scoop soften ice cream into the bowl, and pat down to compact into a semi sphere shape. Leave in freezer to set for at least 3 hours. Slice cake into 1 cm slices and lay 2 slices on a baking tray. Spread jam onto the cake surface and invert frozen ice cream onto the cake. Working quickly, cover the ice cream dome with a quick spread of jam and cover entirely with slices of cake. Press the corners down and compact into shape with the help of some clingflim on top. Pop back into the freezer overnight.

Just before serving, Beat the egg whites till fluffy and stiff, add sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat till meringue is glossy and forms stiff peaks. Preheat oven to the highest temperature (240 degrees) and pipe meringue onto the ice cream and cake dome.

Bake the bombe for 2-3 minutes or until the meringue begins to brown slightly. Remove from the oven briskly and pour brandy over the dome. Light the liquor on fire and watch the flames spread over the golden meringue crust. Serve immediately with the mixed berries.

baked alaska

For filling
1/3 cup sweet orange marmalade
1 qt superpremium vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
1 pint orange sorbet, softened slightly
For génoise
1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs at room temperature for 30 minutes
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For meringue
7 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 eggshell half, cleaned
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
Special equipment: 2 (8- by 2-inch) round cake pans; a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan; a round cake pan or plate at least 10 inches in diameter

Make filling:
Beat marmalade into vanilla ice cream in a bowl with a wooden spoon until combined, then spread in an 8-inch cake pan. Spread sorbet in other 8-inch cake pan. Cover pans with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
Make génoise:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch cake pan and line bottom with a round of parchment or wax paper, then butter paper.
Sift flour and salt into a bowl.
Heat eggs and sugar in a large metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, gently whisking constantly, until lukewarm and sugar is dissolved.
Remove bowl from pot and add zest and liqueur, then beat with an electric mixer at high speed until very thick, pale, and tripled in volume (about 7 minutes in a stand mixer or 10 minutes with a handheld). If using a tall narrow bowl, transfer to a large wide bowl (to facilitate folding). Resift flour and salt over eggs in 2 batches, folding gently but thoroughly after each batch. Fold butter into about 1 cup batter in a small bowl until just combined, then fold butter mixture into remaining batter gently but thoroughly until just combined. Spread in buttered pan, smoothing top.
Bake cake until a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then run a thin knife between cake and side of pan and invert rack over cake. Flip cake onto rack and cool completely. Peel off paper.
Cut cake horizontally in half with a long serrated knife to form 2 layers, then tightly wrap each layer in plastic wrap and freeze 30 minutes.
Put 1 cake layer on plate or inverted cake pan (at least 10 inches, but small enough to fit in your freezer). Dip pan containing vanilla ice cream mixture in a large bowl of hot water briefly to loosen, 5 to 7 seconds (have a kitchen towel ready to wipe off water), and unmold ice cream onto cake. Top vanilla ice cream layer with second cake layer, cut side up. Unmold sorbet layer onto cake in same manner and freeze ice cream cake until firm, about 1 hour.
Make meringue:
Beat egg whites and a pinch of salt in a large bowl with cleaned beaters at moderately high speed until foamy, then add cream of tartar and continue to beat until whites hold soft peaks. Add sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue beating until whites just hold stiff, glossy peaks. Beat in vanilla.
Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
Transfer frozen cake (still on plate or inverted cake pan) to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper and spread meringue over cake, making it at least 1 inch thick and mounding it on top. Make an indentation with a tablespoon in center of meringue deep enough to fit eggshell. Bake cake until edges are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Carefully transfer cake to a serving plate using 2 metal spatulas and place eggshell in indentation. Pour liqueur into eggshell and carefully ignite with a kitchen match. Spoon flaming liqueur evenly over meringue (flaming liqueur will brown meringue a little more). Remove eggshell and serve baked Alaska immediately.

Cake with ice cream and sorbet, but without meringue, can be assembled 2 days ahead and frozen, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.
Mar 21  # 4 of 6
BAKED ALASKA

1 (8 inch) cake layer (frozen) any flavor
1/2 gallon ice cream, any flavor
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 c. powdered sugar

Grease a 7 inch diameter bowl (large enough to hold 1/2 gallon ice cream). Grease the bowl with vegetables cooking spray, butter. Let ice cream soften until it is workable. Pack tightly in the bowl. Return bowl to freezer until it hardens.
When ready to assemble, beat egg whites until foamy. Add tartar and whip until stiff. Gently fold in powdered sugar a little at a time.
Place frozen layer cake on a plate slightly larger than the cake. Unmold the ice cream centering it on the cake. Do not trim the cake. Frost cake and ice cream with meringue, covering completely.
Bake in preheated at 450 degrees for 6-7 minutes until meringue peaks are golden.
Store in freezer until serving time. Baked Alaska is delicious plain, or you could use fudge, strawberry, or your favorite topping.

MINI BAKED ALASKAS
1 pkg. (9 1/2 oz.) Pepperidge Farm frozen Mini Puff Pastry Shells
Ice cream, any flavor
2 egg whites, at room temp.
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c. granulated sugar

Prepare pastry shells according to package directions. Using a small melon-ball cutter, scoop ice cream into balls and place in pastry shells. Place on baking sheet, cover and freeze up to 2 days.
Just before serving, preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue beating until stiff. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe meringue on ice cream, totally covering surface, and mound high. Place baking sheet in oven and bake 3 to 4 minutes or until meringue is browned. (Be sure to watch carefully during baking to prevent over-browning.) Remove from oven and serve immediately. Makes 24 Mini Baked Alaskas.

Basic Sponge Cake

6 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 T. lemon juice
½ t. grated lemon rind
1 c. flour

Use a jelly roll pan.

Separate the whites and yolks of the eggs, beat the yolks until thick and lemon colored, add the sugar gradually, then add the lemon juice and rind.
Cut and fold in the sifted flour and cut and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
Bake in an ungreased pan in a very moderate oven - 325* F. about 15 minutes.
Bake until the cake is puffed, has lost its shine, and springs back when gently pressed.
Mar 22  # 5 of 6
Thank-You Guys, You ROCK, this is exactly what I was searching for, it sounds like the one I use to make and have tried several times, But that was YEARS ago, and I could not remember exactly how it was made, Thank-You so much, I was afraid of making it without checking as I didnt want it to flop. And to have a few different variations is so cool as well, Well Done Everybody!!!!.