Nov 5  # 1 of 9
I made this for Jon this evening. I baked a loaf of brioche and then cut it up into cubes and popped it in the oven til they got a little toasty. The original recipe included rum soaked raisins but he hates them. I also added some fresh grated nutmeg.

Bread Pudding

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
8-10 slices dry bread
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups milk, scald & cooled

Melt butter or margarine.
Break up bread, set aside.
Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice.
Reserve 3 tablespoons of this mixture for topping.
Pour melted margarine onto bread.
Toss bread with remaining sugar mixture.
Your sugar mixture will stick better that way.
Place bread mixture in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
Combine egg, salt, and vanilla in a bowl.
Beat for 1 minute.
Add milk slowly.
Pour over mix in dish.
Let stand for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle reserved sugar mix on top.
Bake at 325F for 45 to 50 minutes.

I put this on top of the bread pudding after it cooled.

Vanilla Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cups water
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in the water, stirring until blended. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in the butter and vanilla. Serve warm

Jon's Mom always made he and his brother this milk mixture they both still love over bread pudding. She would mix milk, powdered sugar and vanilla together. I made him a big jar of it lol.
Nov 5  # 2 of 9
I have never made a bread pudding ~ Your recipe looks tasty, I think I am going to have to make this too ~ I was looking for a dessert for Sunday (Sundays is a great day: Church and a new recipe with a savory dessert) Thank you for providing my Sunday Dessert ~ What type of bread did you use? I want to make this exactly as you wrote it.

Thanks jglass
Nov 5  # 3 of 9
I set my bread machine on dough cycle and used this recipe. I finished the bread in the oven in a loaf pan. I hate the shape bread machines bake the bread in. After I take the dough from the machine I put it into a loaf pan in a warm oven on its lowest setting with the door cracked til it is doubled in size.
I brush the top of the loaf with egg wash and bake at 350 til its is golden brown. My husbands Mom always has a lemon sauce on top of her bread pudding. I like vanilla better. I used all of the bread except for the end pieces.

Brioche Loaf ( Breadmaker 1 1/2 Lb. Loaf)

3 large eggs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup milk (70º to 80ºF)
3 tablespoons water (70º to 80ºF)
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Measure all ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Process on sweet or basic/white bread cycle; use light or medium/normal crust color setting.
Remove bread from pan; cool on wire rack.

This recipe is also good for brioche rolls. After you take the dough from the machine just make a ball and then cut it in half. Then cut the halves into even sections and roll into balls. Let the rolls rise in a warm draft free area til twice their size.
Brush with egg wash and bake at 350 til golden brown.
Nov 6  # 4 of 9
Bread-Pudding is one of my all-time FAV desserts, EVER! I like it heavy and solid- or light and custardy. I like it warm or cold- with a sauce- or even naked in all it's dense cinnamony goodness. YUM! Nice recipe, janie! smiles- k.
Nov 6  # 5 of 9
My favorite bread pudding recipe is flavored with lemon and star anise. yum!