May 28  # 1 of 14
In my family I'm known as the "Cake Guy". I decorate fancy cakes for everyone's special occasions. There's nothin I enjoy more than piping rich buttercream, spreading decadent cream cheese frosting or dolloping fluffy boozed-up whipped cream between layers of tender, flavorful cake layers, and on top too.

But there are a coupla folks I cook for who aren't sweets enthusiasts and they prefer their birthday cakes less sugary, and not as candy-like. For instance, Dad likes plain cupcakes (he likes the portion-control), and his wife enjoys berry shortcakes.

I've got a virtual library of naked bundt cakes that I've made over the years. Most are recipes I've stolen from co-workers, friends- or enemies, while a few are ones I've developed myself. Here is one of my favorties. (What are YOUR fav naked cakes?)

Bourbon-Banana Bundt

1 c. butter, softened

One 8oz. pkg. cream cheese

2 overly-ripe bananas (the blacker the banana- the better!)

1 t. vanilla

6 T. cocoa powder

1/2 c. brown sugar

1 c. sugar

½ t. salt

4 T. bourbon

5 eggs

2 1/2 c. flour

1 1/2 t. baking powder

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour one 10” Bundt or tube pan.

Cream together butter, cream cheese, bananas, vanilla, cocoa, brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and bourbon.

Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each one.

Sift flour and baking powder together, then mix into batter. Beat on medium speed about 3 minutes.

Bake at 325 for 70 to 75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool slightly on slightly-damp tea towel and then invert on to a plate. Cool completely. Serve at room-temp or chilled. (This cake is heavy, dense and so yummy by itself that frosting or glaze is just a complete waste of time!)
May 28  # 2 of 14
ahhhhhh - naked buns!

OOOPS! I mean - naked BUNDTS!

(bad mama.......LOL)
May 29  # 3 of 14
Gonna try this one!
May 29  # 4 of 14
mama, you're a devil-vixen-Jezabel!
May 29  # 5 of 14
A friend recently asked about "Hummingbird Cake". Although I've always heard of it- I have no personal first-hand experience w/ it... but I did find out it is a Southern Tradition, from what I understand, though I cannot recall ever having tasted one.

Along w/ Lady Baltimore Cake and Red Velvet Cake (which many argue has roots that even predate its Southern popularity- some even say it's from the Waldorf-Astoira in NYC- of all places!)

Has anyone ever gotten their hands on this book?

Amazon.com: Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations: Nancie McDermott: Books

I've come close to getting it more than once, but truth be told, I'm really hard on books and tend to require hard-covers for their durability. And this one's a soft-cover, which is the only thing that's held me back...

I have a fascination w/ Red Velvet Cake. Can't explain it, but the whole idea of it is just so sexy to me (for lack of a better word!). I'd love to know more about it, but there really doesn't seem to be as much info out there as my own brain thinks there oughtta be! A cake w/ a name like "Red Velvet" in my mind oughtta have a reputation that it worked hard to earn- though if there is one, I've been unable to uncover it!