What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Cider Donuts

The Ironic Chef

recipes.png
Apple Cider Donuts
Category: Breakfast & BrunchStyle: American
Description:
I love Apple Cider and love the time of the years for apple harvesting. In UpState NY apple harvest time means Cider Donuts. Almost every farmer that has a road side stand set up sells Apple Cider Donuts. They are a treat. I love them hot and fresh made.

Ingredients:
1 cup apple cider (try to get unpasturized Cider)
3 1/2 cups flour, plus additional for the work surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

A brown paper bag
1 cup of granulated sugar
1-2 tsp of cinnamon

Directions:
In a stand mixer bowl, combine the sugar, and butter. Beat until pale. add the eggs and mix in briefly. Add the cider and butter milk and beat until smooth.
In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet in 1/3 batches and mix to combine. briefly. Don't over mix.

In a cast iron skillet heat several inches of shortening over medium high heat.
On a floured surface, knead gently and then flatten to about 1/2". he thinner the better. Poke a hole in the center and then twirl around your finger a few times to make a nice donut shape. If more flour is needed to make the dough more manageable then add enough so that when you knead it together it doesn't stick to everything. When making the center hole, dip your finger in flour first.

In the brown paper bag, add the sugar and cinnamon.

Gently place donuts into the hot shortening. I use the end of a wooden spoon for lifting, setting and turning. I usually do 3 at a time. Fry until first side is browned and gently turn to repeat on opposite side.If the shortening is to hot the donuts will brown to fast and the centers will be raw. They should take about 1 minute per side. After the donuts are fried remove and place on a paper towel for just a few minutes and then one at a time, place in bag with the sugar and cinnamon mixture and gently shake. place on a serving plate. Repeat until all of the donuts have been fried and coated.

Enjoy that first one as soon as it's cool enough to eat and you will know why I love em.

Enjoy, IC

Back