Nov 5  # 1 of 2
I read through many different versions of Goulash, and finally put together this version to be made outdoors in a 10” Dutch Oven. It turned out really well and is rather fun to cook.

Dutch Oven Goulash

Ingredients:
1-2 Pounds beef, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sliced mushroom
1 can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 cup beef broth
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup sour cream
Salt to taste

Number of Coals: 20 (8 bottom, 12 top)
Dutch Oven: 10”
Cook Time: 2 hours

Preparation:
Prep everything ahead of time and place in bowls/containers that you can have with you at the Dutch Oven. Place 8 coals under the DO, and 12 on top. Let the DO heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove lid to safe place and add the oil. Next, add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sautee until DO cools down, about 3 minutes.

Add meat, mushrooms, paprika, pepper, and bayleaf. Stir well to incorporate.

Add tomatoes and beef broth and stir well. Cover with lid and let cook for 1.5 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.

One batch of coals is good for about 1 hour of cook time, so you will need two batches to get through this recipe. Light your second batch about 10 minutes before you need them, and then remove the spent coals to a safe area and replenish with the fresh batch. Before adding the second batch to the top, use a small hand broom to sweep away the ash build up, and then add the coals.

Once meat is tender, add sour cream and stir well to incorporate. Heat 10 minutes more to bring Goulash back to temp and then serve in bowls over egg noodles.

You can serve it as is, but it is better with the egg noodles. If using egg noodles, obviously you’ll need a way to cook the noodles separately. Either cook them in another DO, or on the stove, or if working with only one DO, cook them ahead of time and set aside in air tight container.
Nov 8  # 2 of 2
That's about what I do except I add a potatoe and some marjoram, then sprinkle a bit of dried spatzel on the top to cook in the juices. Sometimes I'll add a parsnip.