Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you make iced tea? (I know this sounds stupid)

tofumonkey Guest

if i want a 'quickie'

i would boil a pot of water and throw in the tea bags,
    but later i realised that the tea becomes too strong.

It's better to just dip the bags in hot water and let the flavor slowly sift out.
    and add sugar when it's still hot.

Thereafter, i would just throw the tea into the freezer to cool down faster.

hmmm, lemons, i always put my lemons last.
    Has anyone tried putting it in when it's hot?

Angewl_73 Guest

I love my tea strong and sweet.

We usually just put on a pot of water to boil and throw in 2 or 3 family size teabags. Once it comes to a boil, we turn it off and let it simmer for a while.

Then we pour it into a half gallon pitcher with about 1 1/2 cups of sugar while it is still hot.

aeiou Guest

I cheat and have a Mr. Coffee Ice Tea maker. I fill the pitcher with water and pour it into the machine then fill the pitcher with ice and place it under the drip spout. I usually put 8-10 regular sized tea bags in the basket (remove the paper tab first). Then turn the machine on. Once it stops brewing I immediately remove the pitcher of tea and add the sugar stirring vigorously so the sugar dissolves. Once this is done you have cold brewed ice tea ready to drink. I usually make raspberry ice tea.

Angewl_73 Guest

I love strong sweet tea. Whether its hot or cold.

I would like to get the (I thinks its this brand) Mr Coffee hot tea maker.

medako Guest

My mom has atea maker and I really like it, but I can't justify the extra space it would take up on my countertops. I'm anal and like my countertops bare, whereas some people like to keep out certain appliances - and having a tea maker would be a great one to leave out.

aeiou - what do you put in your tea to add the raspberry flavor?

rhoshoun Guest

I don't think any questions a stupid one I love sweet tea and I don't know how to make it either. Angewl give a great straight forward answer.

mrsjimmyp Guest

Iced Tea is so easy to make....I do it the old fashioned way....Put three family size tea bags in a pot ( quart size ) of boiling water.... take pot off stove ...let it steep for about 10 minutes or so then drain it into a gallon size pitcher ...stir in 2 cups of sugar and fill the pitcher with cold water.

Figgnbama Guest

I make a gallon at the time. About every other day. I start with a saucepan that I only use for making tea. Fill with cold water. Add 2 family size tea bags (Lipton) bring to a boil and remove from the heat and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes. Then add to your tea pitcher with sugar or sweetener to your taste. Stir to dissolve sugar and add water to full. Chill, enjoy! Being from the deep south you will never catch me more than a few steps from my iced tea at any given time!

chubbyalaskagriz is offline Master Chef

Interestinlgy, most folks brew/steep tea in hot or boiling water- or using the SUN tea jar-method. Though I've recently come across several sources (including fantastic new southern cookbook "Screen Doors & Sweet Tea" by Mississippi chef Martha Hall Foose) that recommend making tea from cold water! Hmmm... Any thoughts, anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12