Oct 25  # 1 of 6
Has anyone cooked coconut rice before?
Any idea how it is done?

Thanks!

Chinese Cooking
Oct 27  # 2 of 6
I've never even heard of coconut rice before.
Oct 28  # 3 of 6
Oh. You can find it in restaurants serving Singapore / Malaysian food. The coconut rice is called Nasi Lemak and sometimes they serve it over a big piece of banana leaf, with fried chicken, cucumber and egg.
Oct 28  # 4 of 6
Really? That sounds really good. I've never been to a restaraunt that serves that kind of food before. I'll have to find 1 & try it. :)
Oct 29  # 5 of 6
* SERVES 4

* 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented rice
* 2 cups good-quality coconut milk
* 1 3/4 cups water
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. canola or other vegetable oil
* Optional: 1 tsp. brown sugar
* Optional: 1 tsp. coconut flavoring
* Optional Garnish: 2 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut

1. Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. (Note: the pot will need a tight-fitting lid).
2. Rinse rice and drain. Place rice, coconut milk, water, and salt in the pot. Place pot on the stove over medium to high heat.
Stir well.
3. Add the sugar and flavoring, if using. Continue to stir occasionally until the coconut milk/water comes to a bubbling boil (this will keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning).
4. Once it has reached boiling, turn down the heat to medium-low (around 2.5 - 3 if you have a numbered dial). Place lid askew on the pot, so that it is 3/4 covered.
5. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until rice has absorbed most of the coconut-water.
6. Now turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the burner. Cover the pot tightly with the lid and allow to sit 5-10 minutes, or until the rest of your dinner is ready (the rice will continue to cook in its own steam).
7. When ready to eat, remove the lid and "fluff" rice with a fork or chopsticks, gently loosening it in the pot. The rice is now ready to eat. (If your other dishes are not quite ready, you can replace the lid to keep rice warm until needed.)
8. Optional Step: "dry fry" the shredded coconut in a (dry) frying pan over medium heat, stirring continually until the coconut turns golden-brown. Sprinkle this toasted coconut over the rice for an extra coconutty treat.