Feb 9  # 1 of 6
Does anyone know a fool proof way to make perfect hard boiled eggs. I love to make deviled eggs but sometime have a hard time getting the eggs right. Sometimes the eggs have a greenish color on the outside of the yolk. What causes that? Other times the yolks look great but I can't get the egg shells off the eggs without destroying the outside of the egg white. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Feb 10  # 2 of 6
aeiou - the greenish tinge is over-cooking the yolk - keep cooking it and it will turn black. Always check the dates on your eggs - so many times we just take them out of the carton and place in the egg try in the fridge and we forget just how old they are!

A perfect boiled egg has a fluffy yellow yolk.

Place your eggs in a single layer in your pot and cover with COLD water. Although I boil mine for about 8 minutes - depending on pan, amount of eggs, water, etc. others have had success by removing the eggs from the heat as soon as the water comes to a full boil and let the eggs sit in the water for 15 to 20 minutes. Once mine have boiled I immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process (never had a greenish tinge to my yolks!)

I "roll" mine on the board after giving it the egg a light tap to crack the shell and I have no problems removing the shells.

To make sure your eggs are fresh, put raw egg in a glass of water. If it lays on the bottom, it's fresh. If it is on the bottom, but the small end is up, it's still fine. If it is floating in the middle, but not on top, it should be safe, but not very fresh. If it floats, throw it away, it's a rotten egg.

I hope this helps!

MM
Mar 4  # 3 of 6
A small tip - Take out the eggs staright from the fridge and put them in cold water. Bring them to a rolling boil. Then simmer for 10 minutes (for large sized ones), immediately put them in icy/cold water and peel them under running water after 3 minutes. You will be amazed how your eggs look!
Mar 5  # 4 of 6
Oh and yes I missed something. Someone told adding salt to the water is also a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't know how it helps but it was passed on to her by her grandmom. So, I am sure it works :)
Mar 5  # 5 of 6
Quote Mama Mangia wrote:
aeiou - the greenish tinge is over-cooking the yolk - keep cooking it and it will turn black. Always check the dates on your eggs - so many times we just take them out of the carton and place in the egg try in the fridge and we forget just how old they are!

A perfect boiled egg has a fluffy yellow yolk.

Place your eggs in a single layer in your pot and cover with COLD water. Although I boil mine for about 8 minutes - depending on pan, amount of eggs, water, etc. others have had success by removing the eggs from the heat as soon as the water comes to a full boil and let the eggs sit in the water for 15 to 20 minutes. Once mine have boiled I immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process (never had a greenish tinge to my yolks!)

I "roll" mine on the board after giving it the egg a light tap to crack the shell and I have no problems removing the shells.

To make sure your eggs are fresh, put raw egg in a glass of water. If it lays on the bottom, it's fresh. If it is on the bottom, but the small end is up, it's still fine. If it is floating in the middle, but not on top, it should be safe, but not very fresh. If it floats, throw it away, it's a rotten egg.

I hope this helps!

MM
Pure genuis! My hard boiled eggs are lookling a little poor lately, well they always have. Was going to ask my sister since here's are top par but haven't been able to get in touch with here. So This is just as good!