What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesto

S

spicekit

What is pesto? Is it an ingredient, a sauce, what is it?
Can I buy it at the store or is there a recipe?
What is it used for?
How does it taste?

Pesto is a delicious sauce used for pastas, grilled meats, and poultry. This is made of fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. Some versions will also add parsley and walnuts or pine nuts. The ingredients are ground into a paste and moistened with the olive oil. Pesto is also used to describe similar sauces that contain other herbs or nuts.

Traditional pesto is comprised of basil, salt, garlic, extra virgin olive oil and pecorino cheese. It is generally used on pasta or bread. Newer pestos are also made with pine nuts, sun dried tomaotes, black olives, cheese, etc.

BASIL PESTO
Yields: 1 cup

2 c. loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 c. Parmesan
1/2 c. pine nuts toasted
1/2 c. olive oil
3 large garlic cloves
1/8 t. salt

Process until smooth. Will store, covered, in fridge for 5 days.

Goat Cheese Pesto

1 cup goat cheese
1 clove garlic
6 green onions
1 cup olive oil

In blender blend goat cheese with garlic clove and green onions; with motor running, drizzle in olive oil until all is emulsified. Place pesto in squeeze bottle to portion.

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto

1 cup (ligthly packed) sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
good handful flat-leaf Italian parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tb. lemon juice

1. Cover the dried tomatoes with hot water and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
Drain thoroughly.

2. In a blender or food processor combine the drained tomatoes, garlic,
salt and parsley. Process until the mixture is coarsely pureed.

3. Continue to process while adding the olive oil in a slow, steady stream.

4. When all of the olive oil has been incorporated, blend in the
lemon juice.

Makes about 1 cup.

It is also enjoyed as bruschetta.

I love pesto, but haven't ever made it myself. Maybe my herb plants will produce enough basil that I can whip up a batch before too long. It'd be great to have at home instead of just when we go out.

Back