What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applesauce

M

mtmomj

I have always wanted to make my own applesauce, but don't really know where to start or how to go about it. Any recipes and/or tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

I never thought about making my own applesauce. We love apple sauce with cinnamon on it. I can't wait to see if anyone has a great recipe.

Applesauce

1/2 cup boiling water
2 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup sugar

In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat first 4 ingredients to boiling.

Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes until apples are tender for chunky applesauce, 12 to 15 minutes for smoother applesauce. During last minutes of cooking time, stir sugar into applesauce mixture.

* Adjust spices to your taste.

It sounds very easy. I will have to put lots of cinnamon in there. We love cinnamon in our family.

I posted on this yesterday on another thread. I was looking for an easy applesauce recipe. This sounds like it's it. I am trying to picture just how much this will make though...Thanks!

i would recommend just simmering a whole bunch of cored apples (peeled or not) for about 8 hours.

then mash them with a potato mash for a rustic feel, or let it cool down and put it in a blender for the store bough smooth consistancy.

i would never add anything to my applesauce, even cinnamon.

i love the fresh flavour of my apple sauce.

and if you pack it into an old pasta jar when its warm, the bottle will tighten up after its closed and it can last months in the fridge without any preservatives, the apple sauce wont even be oxidized.

****use fuji apples for the best applesauce.

I find there is a difference in flavors between mashed apples and applesauce. But if it is mashed apples you want - steam in skins, peel, core and mash - at least you will still have the nutrients.

I wouldn't even use a crockpot for apples for that length of time.

Applesauce is for desert, Cathy. It don't have ta be good fer ya. :p

:D Someone musta' pulled ma leg when they says that apples eaten raw's bes fer us'n folks. It makes me feel so much better to know it just ain't so! :eek:

P.S. I was just remembering when I lived in Alabama, there was one cafe we used to eat at that had these paper place mats that were Maps of the South and had "southern slang" words explained on them. I used to get a kick out of them.
One term I always loved that my deceased Mom-in-Law used to say was "I wrenched out my dish towels" we'd laugh and she would grin and get a little spark in her eye knowing her English was way off, she was proud of her southern heritage and was a fabulous cook! Nobody fried chicken and made banana puddin' like her! After my family left Miami we had a culture shock by moing to a southern Alabama town. The same area where author Fannie Flagg grew up! It is very popular tourist destination now. I love the South, an southern cookin'

Last edited:
Hey, this sounds really good. I'm kind of new here still and wanted to say hello. Mama Mangia, you said "cooking apples." I really want to try make an attempt at this, but want to make sure I get the right kind of apples. Would regular red apples that you pick up at the grocery story be fine for this? Any suggestions?

TaterTot - use whatever apples you want. Some swear by Granny Smith - others say Roma or Cortland - yet others say a nice mix is fabulous. I've used them all and mixed many - all personal choice! As far as I concerned - you can cook any apples!

Mama

Back