What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meringue

M

magna

Does anyone have a good recipe to make meringue? I havent found a decent one so if someone could shout me one,id appreciate it.

Meringue Pie Topping

3 egg whites at room temp
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar

Beat ; egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar till foamy
Spread ; meringue over hot filling covering completely - don't leave any spaces.

Hints:

use a clean, dry bowl - just a smidge of anything in the bowl and your whites will not whip - they will be soupy (especially if their is the tiniest bit of grease in your bowl)

some like to use superfine sugar because it dissolves easier than regular sugar - sugar is important - it helps to stablize the whites and hold their shape

once you start to beat your egg whites, do not stop - whip straight through and use immediately - they will break down!

underbeating will result in inadequate meringue - overbeating will cause it to collapse

beat whites on low speed until foamy, then one at a time add cream of tartar, lemon juice or vanilla (depending on recipe), continue whipping until they become opaque and hold their shape, increase speed to medium-high while slowly adding sugar in a slow stream, continue beating until the whites thicken and form soft, droopy and glossy white peaks form when you slowly lift the beaters from the meringue. If a recipe calls for stiff peaks, continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat.

do not let your filling cool - or your meringue will shrink

the cornstarch will help prevent weeping, beading and shrinking

weeping is caused by undercooked meringue which frequently occurs when beaten meringue is spooned onto a cool filling

do not use old eggs

I hope this helps.

My former H. E. professor showed us how to actually do meringue. The only things you need here are good eggs, sugar, as sweet as you like of course, and a good beater. For meringue we usually use only the egg whites and when you beat them, you have to add the sugar gradually so that the meringue will develop fine. Once your beaten mixture forms a soft peak. And their good to go with any recipe you have.

I have always had trouble makiing meringue. I love making it and adding candy canes pieces to it at Christmas. I usually have to make a batch or two before they come out good. I will have to see if Mama's tips help me.

Back