What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crab Boil

L

lcsamano

Does anyone have a recipe for a crab boil? I saw this being made on tv a few weeks back and for the life of me I can't remember what channel it was on.

will any of these help you at all??? I have more if you need.......

Easy Boiled Crawfish
4 gallons water
1 73 oz. jar of Zatarain's Pre-Seasoned Crab Boil
2 1/2 lbs. small new potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
8-10 ears corn
40 lbs. (1 sack) live crawfish
Pour live crawfish into a large tub and cover with water; drain and repeat 3 to 4 times until crawfish are clean. Drain off water. Remove and discard any dead crawfish and debris. In a very large (about 15-gallon) pot, combine the 4 gallons water and Zatarain's Pre-Seasoned Crab Boil. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil 5 minutes; add potatoes and cook 5 minutes and remove. Stir in crawfish and cover pot; return to boiling and add corn. Turn off heat and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and serve. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Boiled Crawfish
4 gals Water
1 (26-ounce) box of Salt
1 1/2 cups Louisiana Style Hot Sauce
6 (3-ounce) boxes Zatarain's Dry Crawfish, Crab & Shrimp Boil
1 (4-ounce) bottle Zatarain's Liquid Crab & Shrimp Boil
1 (8-ounce) container Zatarain's Creole Seasoning
1/2 cup Zatarain's Cayenne Pepper
1/2 cup Vinegar
3 Lemons, cut in half
3 Large onions
4 heads garlic, unpeeled
2 1/2 lbs. small new potatoes, scrubbed and unpeeled
8-10 Ears corn
40 lbs. (1 sack) live crawfish
Pour live crawfish into a large tub and cover with water; drain and repeat 3 to 4 times until crawfish are clean. Drain off water. Remove and discard any dead crawfish and debris.
In a very large (about 15-gallon) pot, combine the 4 gallons water, salt, hot sauce, Zatarain?s seasonings and cayenne pepper, garlic, lemons, onions, and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil 5 minutes; add potatoes and cook 5 minutes. Stir in crawfish and cover pot; return to boiling and add corn. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, depending on size of crawfish. Turn off heat and let stand 3 minutes; test for doneness. Drain and serve. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Beer Boiled Crawfish
2 1/2 gallons Water
1 case Budweiser Beer
32 oz. Salt
four 8 oz. bottles Zatarain's Shrimp & Crab Boil With Lemon or Garlic & Onion
2 1/2 pounds New potatoes (boilers)
2 pounds Corn-on-cob
40 pounds (1 sack) Crawfish
1. Pour crawfish into large container and wash with fresh water 2 or 3 times or until water is clear.
2. To large 60 quart cooking container, add first three ingredients. Add optional cayenne as desired. Bring to a rolling boil.
3. Add potatoes and any optional vegetables, return to boil, cover and cook 5-7 minutes at medium boil.
4. Add crawfish and Zatarain's Shrimp and Crab Boil with Lemon or Garlic & Onion. Stir and return to boil. Cook crawfish 3 to 5 minutes depending on size. Stir occasionally. Add corn and remove from heat. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
5. Add ice, in plastic bag, to cooking pot to stop the cook of crawfish. (Water temperature should be below 150°F.) Allow crawfish to soak for 10-15 minutes. (The longer the crawfish are allowed to soak the spicier the flavor.)
Suggested Equipment & Utensils:
1. 60 quart pot (heavy aluminum) with basket
2. 5 gallon butane bottle and burner
3. 1 large spoon or paddle to stir crawfish
4. Large container to wash crawfish
5. Water hose
6. Trays for serving crawfish
7. Table for dumping crawfish with newspaper or other suitable covering
8. Large trash can

Firehouse Crab Boil
Note: We used a 60-quart aluminum pot with a strainer insert and did this over a propane burner outdoors. You could probably get away with a pot slightly smaller, such as a 45- or 50-quart pot, as we had about 6 inches of headspace left in ours. This is definitely do-able indoors, but you may need to do it in 2 large pots on the stove and it will probably take quite a while for the pots to boil.
3 to 4 cups crawfish, shrimp and crab boil seasoning (recommended: Zatarain's powdered form, NOT liquid or bag versions)
3 lemons, halved
2 or 3 large onions, halved
5 heads garlic, cut in 1/2 crosswise
2 dozen live blue crabs
6 pounds new potatoes
4 ears fresh corn, shucked, silk removed and cut in 1/2
3 artichokes, stem end trimmed cut into halves or quarters
2 pounds smoked sausage
1 package hotdogs
1 pound mushrooms
One day before you plan to boil the crabs: If you have a heatproof, submergible vessel that will hold 1 or 2 gallons of water that may be frozen, fill these with water and freeze until frozen solid.
In a very large (40 to 60-quart) pot combine the crab boil, lemons, onions, garlic, and 6 gallons of water and heat over high heat, stirring, until the powdered seasoning has dissolved. Add the crabs, potatoes, corn, artichokes, smoked sausage and hotdogs. (Everything should be submerged in liquid - if not, add a bit more water to cover.) Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Cook at a rolling boil for 6 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the mushrooms. Cover the pot and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the frozen vessels to the hot crab boil and stir occasionally very gently to facilitate even cooling. This will prevent the crabs from overcooking and will also force them to absorb the seasoning from the crab boil. Let the crabs sit in the water for at least 1 hour before serving. You can let the crabs sit until completely cool, if desired, or you can serve the crabs warm.
Using tongs or strainers, carefully remove the crabs from the pot along with the onions, garlic, potatoes, corn, artichokes, sausage, hotdogs, and mushrooms and spread out on large platters or on newspaper lined tables for folks to enjoy.

Crawfish, Shrimp and CRAB BOIL Seasoning
4 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons whole allspice
2 tablespoons dill seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
8 bay leaves
Salt and cayenne pepper (or liquid hot sauce) to taste
Combine all dry ingredients thoroughly. Place in a square of muslin or cheesecloth and tie securely with string, like a large sachet d'épices. Add salt and cayenne or hot sauce to the water to taste, then bring to a boil.
When water for seafood is boiling, add the bag and boil for several minutes, until the boiling liquid is tinted and seasoned, then add vegetables and/or shellfish and cook until done, depending on what you're using.
Yield: Enough crab boil seasoning for 5 pounds of seafood.

Crab Boil Spice Mix Recipe
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/4 cup sea salt
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon celery seeds
1 tablespoon minced dried chives
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons dried oregano
5 bay leaves
Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulsing, process until the mixture forms a coarse powder.
For cooking shrimp, add 1/4 cup of the spices, along with 2 teaspoons salt, to a large saucepan of boiling water or half water and half beer.
For lobster or crab, use 1 part distilled white wine vinegar to 3 parts water. Add the seafood and cook for 2 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove the seafood and serve or chill.
Yield: about 1 cup

Thanks for the recipes. The firehouse boil is actually the one that I was looking for. It looked really delicious on the show that I was watching.

Oh I will let you know how. I might have to add that to my grocery list and make it this weekend. Hopefully I can find the blue crabs. Do you think regular alaskan crabs will work?

Back