Nov 16  # 1 of 3
Does anyone have a recipe to make a cherry pie? The catch is that I want to make the pie with dehydrated Montmorency tart cherries and not that sickening sweet cherry pie filling that you buy in a can.
Nov 16  # 2 of 3
Hi AEIOU,
I believe you could soak the dried cherries in about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of white grape juice to re-hydrate. Then place into a small sauce pan and thicken with approx. 1 1/2 tbsp. of cornstarch (diluted to a thin paste with cool water) add to cherries and juice; cook on med. heat until bubbly and thick. Cool the filling slightly and taste, at that point begin adding white sugar to suit your tastes. You will have a filling made to order and should not require too much sugar if you are using juice as the liquid to rehydrate the cherries. For an added touch you may want to add a couple drops of red food coloring to mimick the canned pie filling if so desired, and a tsp of lemon juice.
You could place into the shell of your choice and bake accordingly.
Happy Thanksgiving & Baking:) Cathy
Nov 17  # 3 of 3
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the advice on how to make a cherry pie with the dehydrated cherries instead of the canned cherry pie filling. I will give this a try and if it turns out good I will post the recipe and picture.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family