What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puff Pastry?

Not at all, Cathy. They're totally different.

Phyllo consists of flat sheets of paper-thin dough, without levening. In use you butter each sheet and create multi-layers of the pastry.

Puff pastry, as the name implies, contained leavening and it rises---both as it stands (like bread dough) and while it bakes.

Thank You For Clafifying The Difference For Me, I Honestely Have Never Used Puff Pastry Although I Do Use Phyllo Dough On Occasion. They Sound Like They Taste Similar, Am I Right About That?

Hard to say. To me, phyllo takes it's flavor from whatever it's being used with. So you get a buttery crustiness tasting of filling.

Puff pastry has a flavor of it's own, but it's not easy to describe. More of a flaky, biscuity sort of thing. But because butter is what makes it puff, it has a similarity to phyllo in that regard.

Ok, Tahnks. I Am Asuming That I Could Use Phyllo In Place Of Puff Pastry In A Pinch? Since I Have Some From The Holidays On Hand And Would Like To Use It Up, The Outcome Would Not Be That Different I Hope.

Depends a lot on the recipe.

Most of the time the outcome will be different. Not better or worse, you understand, just a different texture and possibly a different flavor profile.

Give it a whirl and see what happens. Whatever the outcome it will still be edible, so you won't be wasting it.

As one who has accidentally bought phyllo instead of puff pastry, I can say that they are really two different things. I wish that they didn't package them in the same color, shape, etc., boxes. I make it a point to triple check the box when I buy puff pastry.

Back