Jul 6  # 1 of 11
OK, this is one thing that I just cannot master, and I always end up buying the premade sauce in the refrigerated section of the store. It's not bad, mind you, but I hate that I can't make alfredo sauce without it being a lumpy mess.

Any advice?
Jul 6  # 2 of 11
I don't know what recipe you are using - try this one -

place the butter (not margarine) in your pan, pour in your cream, milk or half-and-half, add your grated Parmesan, add a bit of pepper (you can add salt but be careful because of the salt in the Parmesan) - heat through and do not let it boil -

add to cooked pasta and it's done!

it's very easy and it's very good!

:p
Jul 6  # 3 of 11
I think I am either adding the cheese too much at a time, or the heat is too high.

I will try again and see.

Also, I used a recipe that i found in Cooking Light or someplace. I really think that Alfredo sauce is one of those things that you just can't really lighten without ruining it.
Jul 6  # 4 of 11
You're right about trying to make something ''light" when it shouldn't be!

I use a medium heat and I constantly stir - I've never had a problem with it. Maybe it's because I don't add flour as some recipes call for. Some people try to make a roux out of the butter and flour - but that won't work for Alfredo Sauce.
Jul 6  # 5 of 11
Yeah, Mrs. Chipotle, I don't think Alfredo sauce is something to make light. Instead of trying that, just don't mix as much in the pasta. :) It's really about the samething ... either less of the good stuff in the sauce or less of the good stuff on the food. Either way is about the same in my view. And if you make the Alfredo sauce normally, it will stick to the noodles and not be runny.